The little silkie chick I helped out of the egg...Pics Pg2.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This last egg has been at it since yesterday. Its like its chipping the shell away but the membrane is going no where. I told myself I was not going to help because my first time I tried helping the baby didnt make it. It still cannot get through that membrane and my humidity is good at 70%. My meter is right because I have tested it. Its very humid inside...So i decided I would try to help indeed the membrane is very hardish. But everytime I try to help blood comes and I stick the chick back inside. I waited for 3 hours and tried again still blood and put it back into the incubator. I need help.....Its never gonna to get out of this membrane without my help. HELP ME!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's not ready if there is blood coming from it. Best thing to do is leave it alone, if it's meant to hatch it will. The veins have not dried up enough for it to hatch out and it knows this, that's why its taking longer.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Not ready yet...can you raise the humidity a bit?

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    ok thank you! I thought that maybe what was wrong...Yes I raised the humidity to 75.

5. berryhill chicks

berryhill chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    southeast louisiana
    I spray the eggs with warm water daily

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    If you raise your humidity too much you will cause more problems and your chick will likely be sticky....

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    When I have assisted my chicks out of shell I do this... Just chip away shell on the larger end where head will be. Look for the beak that may or may not be poking thru the membrane. Gently tear a small opening in membrane over the beak so chick can have air. Sometimes I even coax the head out and let it rest with body in the shell.. It will use it's feet when ready and push itself out and hopefully by then will be free of egg...
    If I tear the membrane and it oozes blood I put a tiny piece of tissue over tear and leave it alone... If they have pipped and just halt there I often roll the egg in my hand that is wet with warm water and then pop it back in incubator...

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The chick is doing good very loud he/she is. Still in the egg and not zipped yet has a good size place to breath I can watch it breathing. I am gonna leave it over night see what we have in the morning I am hoping that it will be able to zip by itsself. If I have to help it it makes the 3rd one I had to help 2 others who zipped competly but some of the membrane dried and didnt get zipped so the chick was unable to get out. I don;t understand that because my humidity is really good.

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had to help this baby all the way out lastnight and it is doing fine this morning all dry and already nibling on food and water. For some reason this baby just could not get turned to zip and I feel it would have died if I had not helped. I didnt take it out of the eggs but did what lilchick suggested I removed the top of the egg and allowed the chick to rest in the egg till it was ready to come out. Within an hour it had came all the way out of the egg its self and was running all over the bator..LOL so its doing very well now.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have found that there are those who if just given a little "headroom" they get it done. Whether that's a tough membrane or trouble getting their bodies around. Sometimes just a tiny bit of room, or headway and off they go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by