The little snowballs(with pics!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Gerbil, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    11 days ago we came home from vacation to find, one of our chickens broody on a large clutch of eggs. 12 eggs total, all mutts, today they all decided to pip, so now I have 1 chick and 11 piped eggs. I did not have the heart to smash them while they we're eggs, so now I'm stuck. (For some very odd reason all of our mutts have a 100% hatch rate while anything purebred has about a 50%.) The one that hatched is adorable! He has a little fluffy muff and little fuzzy feet! Their father is Mr. Handsome man, a Phoenix Silkie mix, While their mothers could be either a (Pickles)Phoenix or (Pokelet) a red frizzle Cochin. Anyways my main point is we're trying to start a purebred flock so no more mutts! So if the rest of them do make it out, would anyone be interested? [​IMG] Also due to the untrustworthiness of their broody, I have brought them into the house, where they will be hatching without the fear of being eaten. [​IMG]

Thanks, Hannah
    P.s We are near Birmingham, Alabama and they are free

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Fuzzy babies![​IMG]

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    aww

that picture totally makes me want to slap on my macro filter and take pictures of my chickens.

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    The wee little ones tend to inspire picture taking. Now we have a total of 6 fuzzy babies, 1 gray, 2 white's and 3 yellows! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We now have 7! [​IMG]
    Yeah! 8 chicks! [​IMG]

Also I would like to add that so far they are all Phoenix/Silkie mixes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They aren't accidents, just pleasant suprise [​IMG] lol. They really are cuties.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    [​IMG]
    2 more chicks! Bringing the total to 10 so far. Also, it does look like I have one possible Pokelet chick! [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    yayyy! hows egg 11 [​IMG]

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Egg 11 is cracking away at his shell along with egg 12 and 13 and 14! 2 MORE EGGS! To bad there is no smiley for despair because I would be using it. So far I am the only one who knows that there are 14. I am one bad counter. I love baby fuzzies [​IMG] but sadly no amount of chicken logic will help this time.

P.s I found the other 2 eggs hiding under Pickles their (slightly EVIL) broody.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  9. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    darn, wish I could take them, but we are far away in Maine! They are really sweet!

10. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    They are all developing unique personalities, some more distinct than others. Grey one the second one to hatch is a toe biter while, Fuzzy, the little crested one is a baby, all he wants to do is be held. The 4 that are not hatched yet are doing great, they are pipping up a storm and should be out soon! [​IMG]

Still trying to apply chicken logic....... 12chicks + 2chicks = 5chicks! Not working so well......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: