We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

The local Pizza Restaurant is giving us their scraps of pizza and salad.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by trufadog, Jul 20, 2019.

1. trufadog

trufadog Chirping

Oct 31, 2017
    Hello! The local Pizza Restaurant is giving us their scraps of pizza and salad. I really want to stop buying 50lbs of feed every month. What is the maximum percent of pizza scraps that I can give my chickens? Thank you!

Lori J, Connewarre, juderm and 3 others like this.
  2. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Pizza, if fed to your flock should only be given as a treat, in small quantities. I would continue feeding them a good commercial chicken feed if I were you.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chicken feed is cheap! Pizza and salad as treats, maybe. As a food source, no.
    I would hope that this isn't stuff scraped off plates?!? That's definitely a NO!
    Mary

My 3 chix, Misty Lee, Debby R and 9 others like this.
  4. Morrigan

Morrigan Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2014
    N. California
    I'd be worried about the amount of salt in the meat and cheese, and even the crust. I've read that too much salt is really bad for chickens.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Agree about the salt! And as a balanced diet? No way.
    Mary

Larry Rose, Debby R, McBriec and 5 others like this.
  6. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I wouldn’t do that I don’t think that is good for their health. The salad probably would be OK as long as it doesn’t have salad dressing on it. I don’t know about pizza though. I mean just think about people that eat pizza and salad with lots of dressing, they usually are obese and that is not good for your health. I think obesity in chickens usually leads to reproductive problems and a shorter lifespan.

7. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    The salad could be the 10% of their diet that isn't chicken feed. I wouldn't feed pizza except for an occasional treat.

8. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I would also be worried about having to give a lot of butt baths! That’s what happens when I give my chickens too many treats!

9. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Why not feed chickens food off plates? I can't think of a better use on the planet (including composting) to properly manage food waste.

10. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    How much are you getting and how often? What's the mix pizza/salad? How many chickens you have?

Unlike others here, I give my chickens as much "people food" as I have to give them...I think your flock would love the salad greens. The only concern with the pizza would be salt, I'd think, so while you'd want to limit it, I'd say you can safely limit it to "more than none".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: