The Lock, the cold... the horror!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Jan 16, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, my locks on my house work! ...too a point!

I went out to clear the ice out of the chickens' water and feed them and the ducks who were actually waiting at the back steps to the deck for food. Its not the negative temps here it is across the country but it was 14 degrees this morning when I went out.... not including the wind chill. I was still in my PJ's with flip flops and leather coat. [​IMG]

Anyways, we can walk out of the house at any time with the locks on our doors. They are those fire safety locks. Well POO on those knobs... because I locked myself out! All my windows are good and locked too. I make sure I bolt everything in this house. Growing up and recently moving from a ghetto high crime neighborhood taught me to lock and bolt everything.... shoot, I keep a baseball bat under the bed and couch!

Luckily my neighbor was out feeding and watering the dogs and I got her to get her husband to try to help get me in. My husband is on his way to oxford from his job in Clayton... that makes him a good 1-1.5 hours away! He just popped my backdoor right open with a credit card. I'm GRATEFUL to be back in the house. My daughter was in here all alone... and I would have panicked for sure if I had to wait for hubby.

Time to change the locks on the backdoor though... glad I trust my neighbor so much. [​IMG]

2. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    Credit card trick works on windows too ! But glad to hear that you made inside again. Frostbite on a pinkytoe would suck too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Ever think of giving your neighbor a key?

I swapped keys with a neighbor I don't like so I know I'll never go there unless there is absolutely no hope of getting in my house with out it.

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    14 degrees this morning in PJ's with flip flops and leather coat...you where a sight to see!! [​IMG]

5. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    If I saw you walking down the street I would wonder how many cats you left inside your house.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

at least you had clothes on ROFL!!!!!!! [​IMG]

My biggest worry now would be getting those locks more secure...I didn't think you could still actually PICK a lock using a credit card any longer? [​IMG] I'd be terrified if someone could do that to my house! [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Leave a key hidden in one of the out buildings. Hide it good though.

8. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Put a key in an opaque container marked "Chicken Fecal Sample - for lab test" and put it in your barn/coop/whathaveyou. I sure wouldn't open that to check.

I keep a key suspended from the mosquito screen on one of my rain barrels. Keep the cord SHORT if you do that, though....rain barrels can freeze!

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:LMAO!

I guess I forgot to mention I have a key usually hidden in a magnetic key case under the wheel well of my car.... my husband locked himself out one morning and used it, then left it inside the house instead of putting it back. I spent at least 3 minutes gripping the underside of my car thinking it must have fallen out at walmart or something?!

Going to hide a key in the chicken coop I think! [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My extra house key is hanging on my Great Pyrenees collar. I'd like to see someone frisk him trying to find it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by