The lone blue Orpington pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tazcat70, Oct 10, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

that I saved from the 20+ chicks I hatched from my eggs this spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please tell me what you think of her.

Also is there such a thing as blue splash? I have a hen that has black splashes on her blue body.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Also is there such a thing as blue splash? I have a hen that has black splashes on her blue body.

I think it could be extra melanisers. It sometimes happens when splashes or blues have been bred to blacks.​

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow! You hatched her this spring? She's huge- and gorgeous! I hope mine fill out like that [​IMG]

4. tazcat70

Krys- Does it help or hurt anything?

HappyMtn-

She was either hatched 4/3 or 4/20 of this year. She still has not started laying. I figured that if she hatched on 4/3 she is about 27 weeks. She is almost as big as her father.

Thanks

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Does it help or hurt anything?

I think it isn't ideal for showing. If one breeds blue to blue one is able to select for the shade of blue one is wanting. One cannot see the shade of blue in order to select if one breeds black to splash to get blue.

She looks nice & chesty.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  6. tazcat70

Thanks. She was the best I hatched.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    She is very pretty! I asked the same question last week about the blue/splash. and was told mine were blue. Apparently to be splash they are only white with random black splashes.

8. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Very pretty [​IMG]
    I really like the hen in the first picture to the right, it looks like she is giving you the stink eye! [​IMG]

9. tazcat70

I wouldn't doubt if she is. I only separated them two weeks ago, and they are all still upset with me.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's very pretty, though she sure has a long tail for an Orpington! Not sure I've ever seen an Orp hen with a tail that long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by