the lone chicken * update w/pic *

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 29, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Well as some of you may know I posted a thread about my oversexed duck - lately he has calmed down a little ( a few swats in the tail feathers helped i think lol ) but I have noticed that the chicken he has the fancy for is starting to be a loner - she is eating, and drinking and still enjoyes her dust bath but now she does all this kinda of her own she will not freak out if one of the others joins her but she does not seek out thier company and she does not join in for treat time any more this morning she did not eat her blueberry bagels with the others just kinda walked around on her own. I know she is not sick and at night when everyone goes to bed she still goes in with them. Could this be because of the duck having his evil ways with her LOL Is there something I can do to make her join the flock again? I really dont remember her always being this way ( she might have been this way along just never noticed it ).
    I feel like I am letting her down in some way I try to protect her from Frodo and all his nasty habits and when he gets his own duck yard things will be better, but right now they play keep away - she is on one side of the yard and when he comes near her she runs to other side like she is saying " KEEP AWAY "

any thoughts would be great

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yes, i remember reading about your duck. It effectively cured me of ever wanting a duck. [​IMG]

It may not be a problem that your pullet is a loner. i have a pretty black silkie that tends to hang by herself. If there's a special treat out, she will go over and eat. She also goes into bed with everyone. But most of the time i see her off in a corner by herself, just tooting along. i tend to think it may because she is lower in the pecking order, so wants to avoid conflict. She's healthy and appears happy, so i guess that's just her personality.

i'm no expert on duck/chicken interspecies relationships, but i'm thinking it can't be a good thing that he can get to her whenever he wants.

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    we are doing everything we can to keep the pervert away from her unitl the duck only yard is built - I would not let Frodo's actions stop you from getting a duck I have two others 1 female and another male they are very nice to the chickens never have a problem from them and Frodo is a sweet duck - he will let me hold me ( once I chase him a bit LOL ) I think once the other yard is built everyone will be alot happier.
    My little lone chick is healthy and eating and doing everything just fine so I guess maybe she is like yours - part of the flock just on the outside a bit, I try to give her extra love she seems to love that sometimes falling asleep in my arms.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, how sweet. My little Diana will fall asleep in my arms, too. i love it when they're all calm and sweet like that.

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well my little lone chicken seems real perky today she is coming over to me and says hi !! she also joined in treat time - they had watermelon for the first time today they went nuts over it - some grabbed a whole chunk and run like crazy with it very funny to see !! but we have decided the little loner needs a name and we are calling her Reba since she is an americana and has such a pretty red head.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What a great name! Glad she is perking up. My kids looooove watermelon. i think that's one of the things that saved them when we had our nasty heat spell. They got a huge cold chunk every day. And there was always a couple of them that would grab a piece and run like the dickens. That's always so funny to watch.

Do you have a picture of Reba? i'll post a picture here of Diana. This was taken a week or two ago, so she's a little bit bigger now.

[​IMG]

7. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    awww she is to cute ! I will ask Reba to please let me get a picture of her tomorrow - all the kids are not happy with us right now because we are building thier coop finally and there are people all in their yard !!! my rooster has not stopped crowing since we started - the next project is building a duck house for winter. this weekend i am going to buy a few pumpkins and try them out for the kids. I will post a picture of Reba as soon as i get the camera developed ( should be a day or two since I am camera happy taking pictures of my chickens all the time )

8. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Well after watching her for about a week or so to make sure Frodo ( the pervert duck ) has not been messing with her to much - he still trys but we are building the duck only yard in a few days - so she will not have to worry about him any more, I have noticed that she has been hanging around one of the other girls more they go everywhere together. She has even started joining in for treats more - gave them watermelon and OMG what fun that was I had chicks running all over the place with watermelon in thier mouths the ducks had fun making a HUGE mess with it.
    I did manage to get a picture of Reba - her tail feathers are starting to grow back in where Frodo broke some off.

[​IMG]

p.s- the two silver cochins are not in a cage - the door is open they just had not turned around yet !! that is the run they sleep in at night till the coop is finished- did not want anyone to think they were in chicken jail LOL

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What a sweet looking little girl. Is she an easter egger? What a doll. Glad she is beginning to socialize and become part of the flock!

My kids love watermelon, too. They get it all over their face and head feathers.

10. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Well I was told she is an americana but I have heard alot of people use the term EE I am not sure what the differnce is with the two breeds LOL

Mine make a huge mess with the watermelon - they get it everywhere and the ducks are no better LOL

Reba is turning out to be a very sweet and calm little girl - she is never in a hurry takes her time walking , we have the ducks in thier own yard and she is alot happier without having to wonder where Frodo is all the time- so everyone is now getting along much better

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by