The lone chicken

Hiedi

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Upstate SC
Hello,
smile.png

I am trying to decide what to do with a pullet of mine. She is 8 months old. I noticed blood on the feeder today, and I traced it back to one of my Barred Rocks. Apparently, she is being pecked by one of my Rhode Island Reds. The area on her comb is not too bad, but I am concerned about what will happen if I allow this to continue. On her comb she has some black specks that I assume is from getting pecked by the other pullet. I cleaned her comb and applied some Neosporin to the area. I tried putting her back with the other three Rhode Island Reds, but this one particular pullet still wants to peck her. My question: is it possible to introduce the Barred Rock (that is getting pecked) to my other two Barred Rocks that are in a chicken tractor together? They are also eight months old as well. The problem there, I tried putting her with the two Barred Rocks, to see what will happen; and one of them came over and started fighting with her. I was thinking maybe a gradual process might work by putting her in a small cage next to the Barred Rocks so they can get used to each other. She does not seem too attached to the other Rhode Island Reds. When I let them out to free range together, she usually stays by herself.
idunno.gif

I think your idea to introduce through the cages first sounds best, and safest for the BR getting picked on. You definitely don't want to leave her in with the one that is pecking at her. I currently have a hen in isolation due to being bullied and picked on- not easy to stop it once it begins. If you have the option to move her to a more docile flock, I'd try that first. Good luck.

I ended up putting that one Barred Rock pullet back in with her original flock. I am watching closely to make sure that she does not get continually picked on again.

It is strange how this one Barred Rock pullet does not bond with any of the others. My only logical explanation is because she is in with only RIRs. I had to split them up that way due to limited housing space to keep from being over crowded. My two Barred Rocks are so tight with each other nothing could tear those two apart except death maybe. That is another concern of mine as well. If something happens to one of my two Barred Rocks in the chicken tractor, it will be tragic for the other one. Now that I have a little more experience, I see that putting only two chickens together is NOT a good idea.

I want to introduce that one Barred Rock in with my other two Barred Rocks again, but it is going to take some time. My new plan is to start letting my two Barred Rocks out to free range and also letting that one Barred Rock out with them as well. Because they absolutely love scratch, I am using that as a positive reinforcement when they are out together. It is worth a try. Animal behavior is an amazing thing!

Back
Top Bottom