The lone duckling hatched by broody duck, where to raise it?

cdnley

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
My duck Daisy has been broody for quite a while now. I did not write down when she started sitting and had no idea if she was even going to hatch a egg as this is her first year of maturity. Imagine my suprise when we went in to see her and there was a little one running around sitting under her. Baby duck looks just like her momma. I took it into the house and am going to feed it and water it. There is no access to water/food in the big duck house for the little one. Is it best that I set it up indoors until it is big enough to eat/drink in the house with the others (2 females, 1 male)? Will my one drake be mean to it? Will the flock reject it? What is your suggestion?

Your drake will kill it. Also raising it by itself will be very lonely. Are you sure there aren't any more pipping? I would advise separating a section in the big duck house for her to raise it

Raising it alone will be a lot of work and it will have a hard time socially when it's old enough to go to the flock. If there's a way to pen up the mom and let her raise it, that's the best bet. Or go find another duckling to raise it with.

My plan with the broodies is to pen them up with their babies until 3-4 weeks of age then start free ranging the whole flock and see what they all think. The ducks have a 5x7 coop, and there's enough room to run a 2ft high wall down the middle, so that momma duck gets the front half at hatch time and the other 3 can see and watch from their side while still having access to the run.

Not sure what I'll do with the chicken and her duck eggs yet. Might build a broody hut up against the chicken run, with a dog house and secure fencing or something. Later after she has her share of motherhood, her ducks will go with the other momma duck. Don't won't those ducklings growing up with a complex from being raised by a chicken. LOL

I had 2 mallard drakes & added 4 larger breed ducklings in with them when the ducklings were about 2 1/2 -3 weeks old. They were about 2/3 the size of the Mallies by then & the Mallies have been fine with them. I had originally tried to put the together a week earlier but 1 of my Mallies grabbed 1 of the ducklings by the neck right off so we had to separate them again real quick. The Mallies are fairly young themselves, about 2 months or so ahead of the younger ones, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. They are just starting to get their adult feathers & green heads so I wasn't even sure they were both drakes til a couple days ago.

Poor Mama. All that hard work, and her baby disappeared. She must be frantic. :(
I agree, My muscovy hatched one lone duckling last wednesday they are doing fine together with all the other ducks, chicken and goose right there. they do have a separate bedroom [stall] that is just for them with food and water in it. But the door is open and all is well. Please don't deprive mama of raising her duckling it will fit in with all the others alot better, just keep and eye on how the drake reacts. I have enough space where mama and duckling don't have to be near my drakes but they really are being good boys.

Thanks for the advice. My duckling was very loud about not being with his/her momma! I set up a block to keep the drake out of the house and put baby back in. Daisy and my other broody Pekin and the babies are in the house. Baby and mommy seemed quite happy to be reunited. After that was done my DH noticed a broken egg that had been rolled out of the nest. To my surprise there was a half hatched duck that was having quite the time hatching. It was like a ring of shell around the middle, like a belt. Baby duck was tired out. I brought baby #2 in and helped it out...the yolk sac and everything was dried out already... It was tired and weak and was having a tough time holding his head up. Very similar to their momma Daisy's birth. When it seemed okay I put him back under momma.

Went to check on them today and found that there are 2 more babies! Daisy is a Swedish and rouen cross and he babies resemble 2 Swedish and 2 rouen..so funny! The daddies of them are Welsh Harlequin and Blue Swedish. I am not sure how they will look when older, cute of course!

I have to buy poultry starter tomorrow but for now they have access to regular poultry finisher and a shallow water dish. They seem pretty lively, except the one who started off rough..he is improving but still slow. They seem to just sit under momma who tucks them in, lol. Hopefully they come to the food/ water dish when they need some.

I'm glad you got a few more babies! My hen never did.. the other two didn't make it. I pen my drakes separately in the barn at night and for the moment pen mum & lone duckling..

Thanks for the advice. My duckling was very loud about not being with his/her momma! I set up a block to keep the drake out of the house and put baby back in. Daisy and my other broody Pekin and the babies are in the house. Baby and mommy seemed quite happy to be reunited. After that was done my DH noticed a broken egg that had been rolled out of the nest. To my surprise there was a half hatched duck that was having quite the time hatching. It was like a ring of shell around the middle, like a belt. Baby duck was tired out. I brought baby #2 in and helped it out...the yolk sac and everything was dried out already... It was tired and weak and was having a tough time holding his head up. Very similar to their momma Daisy's birth. When it seemed okay I put him back under momma.

Went to check on them today and found that there are 2 more babies! Daisy is a Swedish and rouen cross and he babies resemble 2 Swedish and 2 rouen..so funny! The daddies of them are Welsh Harlequin and Blue Swedish. I am not sure how they will look when older, cute of course!

I have to buy poultry starter tomorrow but for now they have access to regular poultry finisher and a shallow water dish. They seem pretty lively, except the one who started off rough..he is improving but still slow. They seem to just sit under momma who tucks them in, lol. Hopefully they come to the food/ water dish when they need some.
Glad they are back together and More ducklings. Congrats!!! pics when you can.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom