The Lone Free Ranger

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mlouski, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mlouski

mlouski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    A hawk just took care of another of my girls...leaving me with one lone free ranger. I'm trying to decide what to do as we approach winter. I can't get any other birds right now so i'm wondering if she can go it alone through the winter or if i should give her to a friend who has a small flock and hope she can fit in. Any ideas? And about the hawk...what I'd like to do to it is illegal and i know it's just the natural order of things, but any ideas for deterring...i do have some devices in place...but i guess they didn't work very well.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    She would be fine alone as long as you keep her in a pen safe from predators but I think she would be a lot more happy living with your friends flock. She will have a rough couple days but will soon settle in and become a part of the flock.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Either would work. As a sole chicken, she is more likely to bond more closely with the humans who care for her. However, if you continue to free range her, the hawk will probably get her, too, as he has learned where there is an easy meal. If you keep her penned where he cannot get her for a couple of weeks, he will start hunting elsewhere. Doesn't mean he might not return, just mean that that your place will no longer be his first "fast food" choice.

An alternative you did not mention is asking your friend for a hen or two to keep her company. Not sure where you live, but you can acquire hens most of the time if you know who to ask. Post a sign in the feed store, in the want ads, etc. A rooster might be even better than another hen as their job is flock guard, and most do a pretty good job of warning when there is danger.

4. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Craiglist is a great resourse for locating chickens in your area as that is where most of mine came from and Yes the rooster Idea is the best possible! My Roo will try to take whatever he thinks is trying to harm one of his girls (Including me if I cause one to send out a distress call by startling her)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by