1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eilis83, Sep 28, 2016.

1. eilis83

eilis83 Out Of The Brooder

Hi all,
    I had ordered six sexed ducklings from Metzer Farms-2 Cayuga, 2 Welsh, and 2 Khaki. ALL but 1 died on the way here. They shipped Monday and arrived at 5 am at the post office this morning. This was our first go at ducklings and my little boys were SO excited. Imagine the surprise, anger, and sadness when we open the box and there's just one lonely little duckling. Has anyone ever had this happen? The box was not damaged in any way so I can't imagine what could have happened. Metzer farm seemed so reputable...I am at a loss and now I have one lonely little miss. I gave her a foster mom (stuffed seagull) that she has snuggled so far.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is terrible for you, the kids and the duckling...Hope they will replace them....??
    Try and look local to you and see if someone is selling any? If you can put a mirror in with the Duckling for the time it will be alone..The plush seagull will help to snuggle with....

Best of luck...
    Cheers...

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry this happened, Metzers will replace call as soon as you can. In the meantime giving the lil one a stuffed animal and also a non breakable mirror will help. They should send out replacements quickly. Bless your little boys hearts for having to see that. Could have been rough handling too, did you ask for heat pak and gro gel?
    @eilis83

1 person likes this.
  4. eilis83

I am hoping they replace them or I may just want a refund. I have looked local and contacted some breeders to see if they have any available-I should have done that in the first place [​IMG] I peeked in on her and she's snuggled up to the seagull right now. She perked up and drank some water and ate a good bit. I just want to let her rest because I can only imagine how traumatic it was for her, bless her! Thanks for the idea about the mirror!
    Thanks for the idea with the mirror too! I had never even thought of that :) They had a cup of gro gel and a nice warm heating pad :( I really cant figure out what happened to them. I took each one out and couldn't see any traumatic injuries. Their necks were floppy but that could just be death-not necessarily trauma....? I'm counting down until I can contact Metzer at 10 am EST.

5. chickens really

Please do keep us posted as to the out come with the hatchery and if you can find her some buddies....

All the best to you....

Cheers!

6. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    they will refund or replace as you wish. I have ordered from them a few times and have lost very few, but they were great about it.

7. eilis83

Got in touch with Metzer Farms and they are sending out replacements for next week. Crossing my fingers that the next batch pull through. I have only heard great things about them and many friends recommend them. The woman on the phone suggested that they may have overheated because it was a hot week in CA. This time the hubby is going to pick them up-one box of dead duckling is enough for me :( Minka (the Lone Survivor) stands for "strong, resolute" in German-dabbles and eats only when I encourage her. Is that normal? I tore up some tender dandelion greens and put them in her water, her food was moistened and I sprinkled some brewers yeast on it. Don't really know what else I can do other than monitor her and keep encouraging her.

8. chickens really

You will have to show her how to eat...use your fingers and quack to her...Be the Mother Duck...Have a bowl of water deep enough to dip her head...I actually made a soupy feed, duck starter with a bit more water..easier for them to eat..If giving greens add grit for her....Any questions just keep asking...

Cheers!

9. eilis83

Thank you so much for all the advice :) I have done as you said and she responds really well to me feeding her. I will keep you all posted! If I knew how to post pics I would do that too-she's a cutey!

10. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    I don't know how old your kids are but my girls would grab a blanket and lay on the floor and put the duckling next to them well the played on their tablet or watched tv also we kept them in a box in one or their rooms at night until you get more for the one..........and i am sorry for your loss. we got two from metzer and one was good the other tiny and weak and blind and so i think it kinda comes with a risk when you order them .....wishing you and your kidos well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by