The loner chick...? Is this normal chick behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MisfitMarie, Nov 11, 2014.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I brought six EE pullets home nearly four weeks ago. One of them, the second largest, is a bit of a loner. I named her Treble. She was the first and only chick to leave the brooder (she seems to enjoy challenging her wings)...and walk around. She followed me all the way to the top of the stairs today, and almost to the shower. I thought this was odd. Even stranger still, she sleeps alone. While all of the other chicks are fast asleep in their feathery pile, she is actually able to climb to the top edge of the couch....and she sleeps there, quite a distance away from the others. She will wander around the house like nobody's business but doesn't seem to interact much with the other chicks. Should I be concerned?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Unless this has anything to do with its health, I wouldn't worry. Different individual animals will always behave differently from each other.

3. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    She has decided your are definitely "mother hen" and she seems to be the adventurous chick of the group! [​IMG]

4. salsan20

salsan20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Out of my limited hatching experience, the bolder loners tend to be your favourites which makes it harder when they turn into friendly cockerals....

5. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    That is what I am secretly fearing! She is SO inquisitive and very brave for such a little chick that she stands out like a sore thumb when compared to the others. They all eat, sleep, play, preen, and poop at the same time...total followers. This little chick isn't so much, hahaha. I can't keep roos in my area, so I am hoping she is not actually a he. =)

[​IMG]
    Treble at two weeks... far too early to tell, but keeping my fingers crossed she stays a HEN!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by