The loner?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mdquilts, Jun 22, 2019.

1. mdquilts

mdquilts Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    We noticed that one of our girls stays on the other side of the run when we bring out treats. I haven’t seen anyone pick on her and she was always one that was cuddled because she was the smallest of the group. They are almost 16 weeks and a group of 6 girls....I hope. I started tossing some treats over to her and bringing extra pans to choose from. She is also the one at the bottom of what i call the pig pile when they crowd on on end of the roost and last one out of the coop in the morning. My husband is worried about her which cracks me up because it shows he’s becoming a chicken dad! I said I’d ask the experts if all is well! :lau

micstrachan and EggSighted4Life like this.
  2. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I think it's just the pecking order. We've got an outcast chicken as well. She is now 2 yrs old. She keeps to herself probably because she isn't allowed to participate with the others. I never see them bully her, but she is nevertheless an outsider in their society. She won't go in the coop at night until everyone is asleep and quiet. I have to make sure she gets offered her share of any treats or she'll go without.
    Good luck with yours!

micstrachan and mdquilts like this.
  3. PotatoHead

PotatoHead Songster

May 18, 2018
    North Central Idaho
    My Coop
    Pecking order is a real thing! One of our RIRs, Betty White, is petite and an outsider. She seems to be picked on less when she’s on her own.

mdquilts likes this.
  4. sunrise.superman

sunrise.superman Chirping

Sep 24, 2018
    I have one that was the outcast in my cousin's flock. I put her with a group of younguns as they were integrating w my older birds and now she's part of the flock and has a few hens that are best buds.

micstrachan and mdquilts like this.
  5. mdquilts

mdquilts Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Any chance it could be related to getting ready to produce eggs? I noticed that someone has been making what look like nests on the floor of the coop so we are finally putting in nesting boxes. I didn’t put them in before because I didn’t want the hassle of keeping them out of them.

6. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I have a loner, too, and a group of youngsters who will be integrating before too long. I may try this once everyone is ready.

My loner is bottom of the pecking order, too. Gotta remind myself that pecking order is a normal part of chickening. I tend to look at it through the human lens of "Can't you just be nice to each other?" But chickens aren't always nice to each other. It's sometimes hard to watch, but, from what I understand, it's normal.

mdquilts and SueT like this.
  7. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Definitely a good idea to have those nest boxes ready by 16 weeks. I've had several that laid eggs at that age. Put in some fake eggs too.

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    16 weeks is very young for laying. It's more likely pecking order stuff as this is the age they start getting that sorted out.

Is she acting normal otherwise? Eating, drinking, pooping, running around?

mdquilts likes this.
  9. sunrise.superman

sunrise.superman Chirping

Sep 24, 2018
    Yes, pecking order is pecking order but this one...a gorgeous and sweet little Mille Fleur D'Uccle was picked on by every other chicken, pretty much bashished to the outside roosts at night and just completely ostracized in my cousin's flock. Cousin thought it was worth a shot to see if a new flock would work, she had just brooded a pile o babies we bought together so when I took my new youngster crew home we put this loner with them and she was kind of their chicken headmistress until they were ready to integrate with my older hens. Acceptance by the youngsters seemed to give her some confidence and while she is well in the lower middle of the group, I think she enjoys life quite a bit more. No constant fight for food, she gets to cuddle up with the rest on the roosts, shares tidbits with her buddies.

10. mdquilts

mdquilts Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Yes everything seems fine otherwise. We even got to watch her take a dust bath a few nights ago. It’s just so sad to see her off alone.

Aunt Angus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: