1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Lucky Seven

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Foghorn, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Just an update of my seven little survivors. Everyone is happy and eating a ton! They are a bit skittish, but every once in a while one will come to me and peck at my hand. One of my Black Australorps has an eye that is not opening. I have very gently tried to see if it was fused and it does open a bit. Not sure what to do. I have heard about rubbing some saline on it. Would that help? Otherwise, all is well so far!

[​IMG] Hey you guys, that bright flashy thing is back!

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Your chick may have a lazy eye.I would just give it some time they seem to be very young.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    They are so cute! I can't wait to get mine.

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    LUV those little yellow rumps on the Australorp peeps!
    I'm finding my BOrps to be the most inquisitive and bravest of the group. How about yours?
    I've forgotten if you mentioned it, but your Lucky Seven include 3 Buff Orps, a couple of barred rocks and a couple of australorps, right?

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    That's great news!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I hope the little one's eye gets better.Have you tired adding some electrolites (sp?) to their water?
    I want some baby chics!!!![​IMG]

Miriam

6. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    pretty close.

3 Buff Orps, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps and 1 Black Giant. He has a tag on ankle. You can see it in pic. He is easily an inch taller then the rest. The Buff Orps are my favorite so far.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Love the fuzzy little white butts! [​IMG]:

8. I_Love_Chickens

I_Love_Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Enid, Ok
    I'm not a pro on chickens, just saying that up front. I am about to get a small flock of my own after I build their home. But i've always had other pets, especially cats which have kittens. And when the kittens eyes don't open, they usually have some sort of discharge coming from it so its matted shut. So I use a wash cloth with warm water on it, not hot, just lukewarm. And gently rub it against their eye. If there is discharge you'll have to do this at least twice a day. Saline solution wouldn't hurt it either though. If you get the no rub solution out at wal mart for contacts, it is only like two dollars for their generic brand-Equate and i'm sure that'd help safely clean his eye to make sure its not going to be infected. You could either try the saline on a wash cloth or just drop a drop or two into the chicks eye. It won't hurt them at all. In fact if his eye is irritated or something, drops are soothing more than anything. [​IMG] So hope this helps and of course one of the earlier posts could have been right too, he could have a lazy eye. Just keep a eye out on it and be sure to take care of it if you see that its matted shut or anything. Good luck. -nate [​IMG]

9. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    So cute! I'm also a sucker for the cute chick butt pics. What's the word (maybe I missed it) are you getting another replacement shipment soon? Jen

10. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am not going with Mcmurray a third time. They gave me a partial refund. The seven chicks I have cost me 30 bucks. Thats a lot.
    My brother and I are going to try Ideal. At least, we figure, they get a warmer start in Texas. They also send out chicks during the week, not on weekends. That could help speed things up. I will hatch my own chicks from here on out. I will definately be looking here for eggs soon! That actually sounds like much more fun! Doesn't it?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by