The Mail Order Bride

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sweetshoplady, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    As told by the recipient, a bachelor ringneck pheasant:

I was minding my own business. Looking out over the pool, to the lake. I live on the screened in porch in a pen til my new home (aviary) is finished. I was a surprise. The human lady who takes care of me and brings me tasty things to eat brought me extra treats that day. I was about to find out why.

The she comes back with a very large red and white box and opens the door to my enclosure. A flurry of beige comes out of the box. I did what any normal red-blooded American male would do. I jumped.

Then I saw her. A vision of lovliness in cream with black speckles. An elegant tail, long dark legs. Beautiful face, gold brown eyes... And all for me! So I showed her my wings and I strutted.

I danced and invited her to eat these delicious treats.

And that moonless night, as I laid there snuggled up with my new bride. I looked up to the heavens and I said, "God is good."

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    sweet

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    haha that was cute

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    So what was the ending?As a pheasant owner I know that when you add a hen to a male that has established his pen that the outcome is not good.Hopefully you had good luck.
    When introducing a new bird to the flock you need to put all birds into a new pen.Then later on you can put them back into that same pen,if you want to.
    Also a ringneck male should have 3 or 4 hens so he will not beat on 1 hen when breeding.They are very aggressive breeders.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm glad he was happy, wait until she starts bossing him around, Make a new nest! I want more treats! Scratch that ground for me!! ehehehheheheheh

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL. cute.

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    He was alone in his pen. She's been in there a couple days and he's really happy about having her in there. I am not sure how to find more females for him. I was happy to find him one.

As slow as I am in getting aviaries done, I hope that I can get him a couple more ladies then move them in together like I did for my silvers. It was the ladies that fought when I introduced them in the new pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by