The man who's dog killed my flock owned up to it today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Angelfire, May 20, 2010.

1. Angelfire

Angelfire Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Remember that thread where I had suspected my neighbor's Golden had killed all my birds? Today he admitted he had found blood on his dog that day. We did not press charges because he agreed to either give me either $500 or to buy me a Brinsea incubator of that value and also told me he would take me and drive down to Ideal to get me 25 bantams (we live about 2 hrs away from the hatchery.) He has since put locks on the gates to his property so the dog cannot shake them open like it did before.

He has a clean record and does not want to screw it up.

He is a nice old man, isn't he, doing all this for me? [​IMG]

I am so glad this case ended finally!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He is an honorable man. I wish there were more like him.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I should say so myself! [​IMG] Sounds like a very kind gentleman.

4. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Nice to read about someone taking responsibility for their animals:clap

5. organiceggs

organiceggs Egg Carton Labels

Apr 15, 2010
    N.Y.
    I'm sorry that you lost your entire flock. I lost half my flock to coyotes a few months ago. I am glad to hear that everything is working itself out.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That is exactly the kind of neighbor you have to be friends with. He will take care of your birds if you are out of town. It's nice to see a neighbor that cares. Invite him for a nice meal when it is all settled. I bet he is the nicest person you can ever think of. For the dog, it followed its instincts, so you can not blame the dog. The owner knows that and has taken care of it. BTW he may be able to claim the damage with his homeowner insurance. You may want to mention that to him. Its a nice way to step towards him too.
    Katharina

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Excellent!

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    It sure is nice to see that the dog's owner not only steps up to the plate and take responsibility for your loss but also takes measures to prevent it from happening again. Great!

9. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    [​IMG] good for him! it is nice to see people taking care of things for a change!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He truly is generous, perhaps it's just me, but in view of keeping things good between you, perhaps you can accept that he'll get you 25 new chickens???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by