The Mandarin Coop Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovin my birds, Aug 22, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Since most of you dont yet know my story I will start at the beginning. I aquired 6 ducks this year all of which are your normal non flying breeds. Then I saw a picture of Muscovies and read up on them. I had to get some so I found 2 one year old hens. While I was scouring the internet, craigslist to be excact, I came across the most interesting thing. A lady that lived about an hour away from me had 2 Mandarins for sale. I looked up some pictures and fell in love imediately. But me being me got all excited that I had an oportunity to get these beautiful ducks to add to my flock. So instead of doing research I immediately contacted this lady and went and got them the next day. I was so very excited, as I got there she had them all ready in a little box. As I walked up to her I was thinking she only has one in the box and we still have to catch the other. Well that was not the case. As most of you know Mandarins are tiny little ducks. Lol! I saw them and thought there is no way they can go in with my bigger ducks. Plus they FLY! [​IMG] But I had driven all that way and they were just so beautiful that I had to bring them home. I had just purchased a dog pen and set it up for a grow out pen for my chicks. Well it is a very good thing I had, all I had left to do was put a roof on it. So when I got home I put them in a big cage so they had room to move and got started putting the roof on (bird netting, it was the only thing I had readily available) Next thing you know I am diggin out the old kiddie pool I had used for my other ducks when they where young. The pen is a 5x15 which is enough room for them but it just looks so small.

So here I am today. I have decided it was time to build them their own special pen. And though we (me and my parents) are still working on our deluxe chicken coop I started today. This will be MY project and mine alone! My parents have helped me build all three of my chicken coops, and this is one I want to do on my own. I want to prove to myself that I definately can do something by myself. I know that when I move out I cant call my dad and ask him to do everything for me. Though my dad is my world! Im a BIG daddys girl, he has taught me everything to help me suceed in life. He has taught me to fix my car and build things, and how to work hard.

Anyway todays ailment was that it rained for half the day, then when it finally stopped I went out to work on getting holes dug (not fun after it has run). I got out there and the dredded sun came out. And let me tell you it got HOT and VERY HUMID! [​IMG] Anyway I only got halp of my 8 holes dug so far. One being the one directly next to the chicken run which I had to use that hole digger that you lift up and like slam it into the ground them pull the handles apart and lift it up with the dirt. Lol! Sorry Im not good at explaining it. So tonight the other 4 holes will be dug and hopefully get the 4x4 post cut and put in. I will have to ask for help on the 4x4's since they are 16 ft and I only need them 6 foot. Or I might make it 8. IDK yet!

Oh btw if any of you need a little extra wood to do a small project. Go to lowes and go down to lumber and ask them about their cull packs. It wood that has been "damaged". That is the way I got my 4x4's. They are usually 50% off of the lumber. Which is a great deal cause most of the time it not really that damaged. Like mine just has a few knicks out of it where they accidentally hit it with the forklift. [​IMG] Sorry this is so long I promise if you follow this that it will be much shorter next time. I tend to ramble on alot about stuff. Lol! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Oh, my original thought got lost in all of my other thoughts. The pen will be about 20 ft long and around 12 ft wide. So in the future there is enough room for maybe another pair of mandarins. Lol! Or some other kind of pretty ornamental. Lol! It will be 6 or 8 foot tall. There will be a big 6 x 4 foot pond in the middle of the pen that will be raised so that I can put a drain in it to drain into the yard when i have to refill it. I am going to find some type of bushes in it that stay smaller but still give them some where for them to hide when they want. It will be half covered in latice (for shade, got the idea from a fellow BYCer) and half covered in hardwire cloth. They will have plenty of grass and bugs to eat and I hope they will be very happy. Oh and there will be a 2 foot high barrier made from wood at the bottom to defer any preditor brave enough to come up to the coop. We have 4 large dogs that stay outside all night that chace anything and everything that comes into "THEIR" yard. Lol! [​IMG]

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    [​IMG] You should take pics of your progress [​IMG]

4. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I will definatley take pics. I didnt take any today cause its just holes in the ground. But if I get the poles up tonight I will take pics. [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

you need to post pics of those mandarins ... i love those little guys!!!

I'm very jealous.. they are impossible to find here!

6. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    So I got all my holes dug Monday and was waiting for my parents to get home to help me cut my 16 foot poles. Well when they got home my dad looked at it and said that he didnt like where we had decided to put it after all. [​IMG] UGH! So needless to say I had to fill in all the holes and by the time I was done it was almost dark. Then I worked today so I couldnt get started on it today but I will start again tomorrow. I will get pics and post them for everyone to see.

Oh and yinepu here are some pics of my Mandarins just for you. This is when the male was in his full coloring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like them. And if you are wondring why the drake only has one fan is because he is pinioned and wont grow. [​IMG] He is still really pretty and acctually very very nice and friendly! [​IMG]

7. yinepu

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I miss mine.. and I am STILL so jealous! congrats on the beauties!

8. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Thank you they are a joy to have. Though the female isnt very people friendly they are still beautiful. I am content to just sit and watch them in their beauty. I think even the hen is beautiful. She has beauty in her simplicity. Maybe you should try and find you another pair. If we werent so far away from each other I would give you some babies from next year. [​IMG]

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I love your new duckies. I think Mandarins are gorgeous. Can't wait to see how your new duckie housing progresses.

10. yinepu

Quote:well.. if you ever end up with some hatching eggs you want to sell........ [​IMG]

seems no one locally has mandarins.. so my search will continue!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by