The masked robber who stole our cat food

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by barngirlsrule, Apr 27, 2009.

1. barngirlsrule

barngirlsrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    If youve opened this topic, u were probably thinking something like: "why would a robber steal her cat food?!?!" WELL... we (as in my family) bought 2 feral cats a while ago to be barn cats (we had a mouse problem) and so we set them loose after they had been living in the tack room for a while so that they would recognize our barn as "home." well, after we let them loose,we never saw them but the food kept disappearing and the litter box was getting filled. so we thought they were hiding from us (they were feral after all).

So it had been two weeks and we were suspicious that we hadn't seen the cats since we let them loose. so my dad took our deer camera and set it up in the horse stall that had the cat supplies. The camera was facing the food bowl and litter box. (we didn't have horses in that stall) The deer camera is an outdoor camera used for catching photos of animals when the people aren't around. THe camera will go off if something in front of it moves. (once we caught a kid on our property who was looking at the camera trying to figure out what it was [​IMG] ) - his expression was priceless!

Anyway we down loaded the photos onto the computer and it showed us the biggest raccoon i have ever seen eating the cat food and "filling" the litter box. Eventually we trapped it (believe me it was not a ray of sunshine wen we relocated it!) That thing was vicious! it made me want to [​IMG] !

What amazes me most is not that raccoons ate cat food, but that we litter box trained a raccoon! [​IMG] - who knew!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is obviously not directed at you, since the feeding was not on purpose, but...

The only thing I hate more than coons, are the relocated city dwellers that insist on feeding them! I remember talking to some lady power walking down the street and she was like "they're so cute! we give them all our leftovers from dinner! they sit on our deck and will take things straight from our hands!" She was not so happy when I explained that they could also be eating her defenseless (declawed!!!) cats. *siiiiigh*

And wow, I can't believe it used the litter box!

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Letting cats run wild is just WRONG.

5. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Quote:A feral cat IS a wild cat. It's wrong to keep it in a house. Trust me.....I had the pleasure of meeting one [​IMG]

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:If you have nothing nice to contribute, please dont post.
    feral cats have a bad habit of running away, I am sure the original poster isnt letting them just run amok. that said.

Some wild animals are truely amazing, but I really have to wonder if this racoon wasnt someone relocated house pet at some point?
    I guess the better part of it being litter trained is you didnt have to walk in that mess and spread germs here and there.

I hope the kittys have just run off and are fine, but chances are a coon that big and nasty did the unthinkable. I am sorry.

8. barngirlsrule

Apr 24, 2009
    Quote:amen! raccoons are mean! we havent seen the cats since. i hope they're ok too!

9. barngirlsrule

Apr 24, 2009
    Quote:That reminds me of people who like to feed the bears at parks thinking that it will make bears "nice"
    bears and raccoons are like cousins- mean and scary!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    when i lived in the city, there were coons EVERYWHERE! they'd chew holes in our garabge cans and eat the trash. we had to build a huge shed to keep them out, several times. my mom used to love the "wild life" so she would go out and take pictures of the nasty little thing while it was trying to eat our trash. amazingly, since we've moved to the country, i rarely see coons. they seem to be able to get their food elsewhere. we do have bears eating our trash now. they walked all the way into our garage to be it. yikes! the only wildlife i will "feed" are the deer and butterflies and other harmless things like that with wonderful wild plants that they were meant to eat.

i have the perfect mouser though! he's such an old cat and is totally tame, but will catch anything that moves. (tried to catch my dog today....) he rarely misses. he was able to leap into the air and snatch a bird in mid flight! and he's old and fat! he did get attacked by a chipmunk once though....it was HILARIOUS! that little thing was vicious and was jumping on top of him! he got scared and ran away.

anyways, rambling aside, hope the cats are still around or doing okay where ever they are and no more coons come your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by