The McCauley Crew

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clamccauley, Apr 28, 2017.

1. clamccauley

clamccauley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017
    I have used "backyard chickens" for the past three years for any and all questions that have ever come up with my flock! I finally had a question of my own and officially joined!

We are in Texas close to the panhandle on a ranch 90 miles from the nearest large town.

I started with 6 hens 3 years ago and get 3-4 new ones every spring. I've lost 2 to dogs, 2 to natural causes and 1 to a bobcat, but other than that, they have been relatively healthy and easy to care for. I also have a lone Cayuga duck that thinks she's part chicken and hangs with the hens happily. I try to only have one of each type of hen so I can tell them apart and note if it's the same hen going broody and just keep up with them better. I had a Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Gold Laved Wyondotte, Silver Laced Wyondotte, Buff Orpinton, Welsumer, and 4 new chicks (Barred Rock, Partridge Rock which Ive had before, and 2 new ones, Delaware and Speckled Sussex)

My Welsumer went broody a few weeks ago so we decided to give her the day old chicks and it worked!! She is a great momma. It's been great having her take care of them and they seem happier and healthier than any chicks I've ever raised! :)

Chickens are so sweet and fun to have around!

We have two barn cats that were raised with the chickens. One peck as a kitten and they knew who was boss. They kill mice, rats, rabbits and birds but never mess with my hens. They all sun bathe in the same spots and get a long great.

We had a great ranch Border Collie that was 4 when we introduced the chicks and she roamed with them and watched over them until she died. We went through 2 pups that just could not leave them alone and finally ended up with a sweet Australian Shepherd that pays them no mind at all.

Peace and Harmony with our growing hen flock, 2 cats and 1 dog! :)

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    [​IMG]
    You have a nice flock! I have RIR too. I'm also planning to get some Silver-laced Wyandottes.
    It's great you had a broody to look after your chicks. :)
    Have fun with your chicks and chickens!

-Jet

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a nice flock you have. Really enjoyed your introduction. Great that you have a dog & cat that won't harm the chickens. Broody hens are the best. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by