The Mean Girl lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Heirloom Farm, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Heirloom Farm

Heirloom Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    We picked up our chicks Sunday and for the most part they've been really easy. Quiet, eating well, drinking well, sleeping and playing. Growth appears normal with flight feathers starting to pop out..all is well except for one little Buff Orpington chick that loves to run around and yank at the flight feathers on all the other chicks. She's not picky about which breed she's tuggin' on, just whoever is closest will do. She's the only one of the 17 that is doing this, so is she establishing that she's the "Head Hen" and it's normal pecking order, is she a bully that is going to remain a bully and something should be done about it, or is there something else going on that I'm too new to be aware of?

Appreciate some feedback!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It seems as if in each batch there is one that pulls feathers, picks at toes, or picks at eyes. She will grow out of this behavior ----------------------------hopefully.

1 person likes this.
  3. Heirloom Farm

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks for the response! We'll just keep an eye on her and everyone else to make sure she's not doing any damage!

4. Belott

Belott Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Belott, Texas
    I had a Black Australorp that was the same way. It was relentless and wound up stripping a half inch by one and a half inch strip of chest feathers all the way down to meat off of one barred rock. It was constantly tugging and pulling at all the others also. I separated it from the others three times and every time it went right back to the same thing. All this was up to three weeks age. I too had 17 chicks. I moved them out to the coop and the aggression continued even with all the extra space.

I now have 16 chicks and since the one "left" there is peace in the flock. They are now six weeks old.

David

5. Heirloom Farm

Jan 12, 2015
    She seemed to be a little better behaved this evening. She gave a pretty good tug on one of the Buff Brahma gals who in turn thumped her little butt to the matt. Let's hope that did the trick. If not, she will be "leaving"

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Hah! Aversion therapy! Might work!

I've had chicks that acted like yours. They turned out to be cockerels.

7. Spydar

Spydar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    I had a BO that did the same thing, he is our roo Loki. Lol

8. Heirloom Farm

Jan 12, 2015
    You all laugh but that has been my fear, that "she" is a "he" in which case he will be leaving too. I have a straight run of Blue Splash and Blue Partridge Brahmas arriving in about a week and the cockerels that get to stay will be from that group!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by