1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The meeting to change my town law is TONIGHT!!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by kgatn, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kgatn

kgatn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I've been working all summer to change the laws in my small TN college town and keep my 3 hens.

First it went through the University because they own our land and we lease it from them.

The University deferred it to the Community Council which meets tonight. I am very hopeful - if not naive!

I've been in touch with many wonderful people along the way and I will not give up the fight OR my 3 chickens no matter what the outcome! I've had a huge show of support and the general consensus is "what's the big deal?"

I'd love to be in touch with, help, anything really... others involved in this kind of change.

www.savesewaneechickens.blogspot.com

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good luck!!..let us know how it turns out!..my thoughts are with you..Wendy

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Any news?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    updates?

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

maybe she's out hugging chickens because she won!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's wonderful!!! Hip, hip, hooray! [​IMG]

8. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    good luck hope it turns out for the best..

move out to the country alot more simple life [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kgatn

kgatn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    IT WAS GREAT!!!

This whole process has been great! It's not over yet, but the Community Council voted unanimously to recommend to the Lease Committee that hens be allowed subject to rules to be defined working in conjunction with the university's Sustainability Committee.

Lots & lots of committees, I know - but it's working!!! - and much faster than I ever thought possible when this began in late June.

I want every chicken lover to have the experience of positive change! I think it will be harder and harder for communities to say no to backyard chickens as long as we as owners are mindful of our pets, neighbors, cleanliness and common sense.

details at:
    www.savesewaneechickens.blogspot.com

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

CONGRATS!!! Luckily I live in Fort Worth which is very agriculturally friendly. The only livestock animal that you CANNOT have in the city limits is swine, but everything else is allowed within reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by