1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The mighty mother hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TominWa, Apr 21, 2017.

1. TominWa

TominWa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2017
    West of Olympia Wa.
    I have never raised the little critters from scratch. This is my first time. How hard could it be? The mother hens make it look so effortless.

I'm three weeks in and all I can say is I have a much healthier respect for the mothering abilities of these birds.

I'm sure all of you know what I have discovered. It is all consuming. Constant worry, cleaning, expanding, temperature......more. One would think taking the place of a simple mother hen would be quite easily accomplished. Us being an intelligent animal.

My little batch of six BOs are doing fine, most have earned their names already.

I am struck by the variance in personalities in creatures so young. One, immediately, came over to me for pets, the other are not so friendly. Yet.

The large one, Helga, is acting like a big sister with the smaller chicks seeking comfort under her waiting wings. Another, likes to show off its jumping trick onto the top of the water container. Then looks at me until I scratch under it's chinny chin chin. The runt, un named as yet, is the terror of the box....all yield to her whim and dread the un approving eye she casts with a practiced cock of her neck.

My only regret is not thinking ahead past the coop expansion and thinking more about the brooder. It would have been nice to get in there with them at this age. We would have begun training for tricks.

Very good information here on this site and I learned quite a bit about the raising applications. Once out in the fancy new coup.....I splurged to 8 sq foot indoors and am planning a giant outside run, with lounging covered patio. Will post some pictures when the new family moves in.

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sounds like your off to a smashing good start!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by