The Military...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KyleD., Mar 28, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Any enlisted BYC'ers or family members of people in the Military out there? Any moms or dads? If so what did you tell your son/daughter when they said they wanted to enlist and what did you cover with them?

2. winniegirl

winniegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm...well, based on my personal experience I won't be able to talk them out of it. I enlisted at age 20 when I ran out of money after 2 years of college. My parents were none too happy, but my Dad was a Marine so he just told me to think about it and make certain I really wanted to do it. I finished college after my enlistment, and stayed in the reserves for awhile longer.

This is what I would rather have done: Finish college, go in as an officer. Provided that's what they want, of course. Different jobs, different training opportunities, and higher pay. They could also enlist and finish their degree while on active duty, and then go thru OCS to become a commissioned officer.

(As the daughter, sister and wife of a vet I clearly understand the sacrifice of service and I personally believe in the importance of serving ones country. So, right now at this moment, I would proudly say that of course my children will also serve! They've been exposed to the military all their life. On the other hand, when the time comes for my 3 babies to raise their right hand, I honestly don't know if I would be quite so supportive [​IMG] )

See, I was absolutely no help at all!!

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm an Air Force wife, Army sis, and was a Navy brat as a kid...
    My daughter talks about enlisting(she's 14) when she is old enough and I think she would handle that kind of life well. It all depends on the person because the military isn't for everyone.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I'm an army brat.

It re-ordered priorities for our family from others. It was military first, family second. I know some of that was my parent's choice, but they decide where you live, what you do, how long you stay somewhere, how long you might be away from family, and other things that non-military families have more power to decide.

It can be a great thing for people, I know my nephew definitely matured and thrives.

I do tell my students that this day in age, when they sign up for military, they are signing up for war. No more GI bill and easy service, it's a much more serious decision than it was 10 years ago.

5. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Quote:no no no, you was some help actually....well you will be. Parents are saying i should think about being an Officer, thing is i dont want to be one. I basically have my job picked out already (if i even get to have it) and would much rather be a grunt doing it. I can understand they pay and stuff but the thing of it is i know i won't spend loads and loads of money so i'll just save a ton

6. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    In our experience, Officers were treated better after service than "grunts." Our experience, not necessarily global.

But if it lets you do what you love to do, there's no argument against that.

7. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    I would explore with them their reasons and give information about the reality. Explore alternatives if the reasoning is anything except a realistic desire to be in the military. And then let them make their decision.

8. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Quote:I know where your coming from, but this is the way i look at it....with the way the Economy is the Military maybe the most secure job in the country before too long. I wouldnt make it in college as my grades suffer as they are. I know the GI bill will last until 15 years since they last day you were clasified as (enter branch here) I dont mind being told what to do and wouldnt mind seeing the world. I can not for the life of me let my parents see where im coming from, they just dont get it. I see it as a honorable death. With no offense to non-Military people but i dont wanna die like the normal person.

9. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Your recruiter may be able to help with parent discussions.

I'd freak out if my sons told me they wanted to sign up. It's a parent thing.

10. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Quote:Well i'm definitely going to be a Marine and my job im thinking of something along the lines of MotorT (humvee driving and such). I just couldnt see myself as the Officer in command when my convoy gets hit by an IED and me figuring out where and how everyone needs to be and such....Much better be on the recieving end of the orders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by