The "Mini-Bator" for $20.. waste of $$ or works??? SW Pa...

Suellyn

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 7, 2008
SouthWestern PA
I saw a "mini-bator" for about $18.00 that will supposedly incubate 3 to 6 eggs (depending on size, standard to banty...). I want a very small flock... in the suburbs, will be pet quality with the added bonus of eggs, will risk hatching a roo or two in order to have my girls (ages 7 & 4) rotate eggs, watch them hatch, and play/bond with them (supervised!!), to make them into egg-layin PETS for this family.
love.gif

Is it worth it/gonna work? or is it a TOTAL waste of money?? My goal is 3-4 Silkies, and 3 standards (prob. buff orps), due to friendliness & cold hardiness. (Southwestern PA!!). I am good with having to do more than 1 hatch, and the next "step up" is a 3-egg incubator (with lots of bells & whistles for a classroom, etc.!) for about $100 to $150 !!! Seriously can't justify the expense, especially if am only going to have a half dozen chickens or so!!
tongue.gif

Input, please??? Or is there anyone in SW Pa that wants to RENT me their small-ish 'bator for a month or so???? Thanks so much!!!
Mom of Chick-A-Holic 4 yr old
jumpy.gif
Suellen

I used it in 87' or 88' and was able to fit 4 large chicken eggs in it and three hatched. So I say yes it is worth it if you only need to do small number of eggs

Unless you want to make yourself a "styro-bator" (you can do a search and find some threads here..

I made one out of an old cooler..I now have an lg incubator that I got for $40 at tractor supply and I'm using the cooler-bator as a hatcher
smile.png

I assume you mean this:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=273

From what I have heard (Not Personal Experience) these things are pretty much junk.

I was going to buy one, but, after reading so many bad reviews, I opted to buy a Hovabator online instead. I got the Hovabator brand new for $50 shipped. It is a large incubator, but, is very reliable, and yielded a very good first hatch for me.

Here is another link about the Chick-Bator:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/693585/

Andy123, yes that is the one, but MINUS the quail eggs, so a couple dollars cheaper!!

And I CAN'T remember where I found it... Strombergs maybe?? Or Amazon dot com?? I have it "bookmarked" somewhere, I can look!!

I read the reviews on the mini-bator, seems the biggest issues are with humidity.. Can probably assume that constant temps could be an issue, too, due to it's small size and lack of insulation.. ??

Sooooooo.... Hows about if I set it down into a styrofoam (cheapie!) cotainer, with some extra water, for better humidity and better stability of temp.????

Don't want to be a "mad scientist"
somad.gif
experimenting on life forms and traumatizing my children with the results
hide.gif
, but does this sound reasonable? Again, $150 seems like a HUGE leap to me, for the one or two times I will need it!!!

I got one years ago, pretty much Junk, I trash mine without hatching any eggs. If you watch it 24 hours it may work. If you only want to hatch a few. Try one of the cheap styroform without the turner, think you can get a new one for around 40.00.

definately junk.. I have one out in the garage someplace that I would not give to you because I like you too much.. It has a tiny christmas tree light for heat and no insulation

I suggest you use an electric frying pan or make a bator out of a cooler or something. even a poorly constructed home-made one would be better than that piece of junk.

this is just my opinion, you understand..

Back
Top Bottom