The miracle egg/baby that traveled two days before hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calgal98, Aug 8, 2011.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I love duckies [​IMG]

3. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Wow! How crazy is that! What did u name him?

4. calgal98

It was crazy. It came about a 1000 miles by mail as a fertile egg and was pipping when I did a candling on it...LOL.

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Wow, that's different! Cute as a button, though! Definitely a viable egg! [​IMG]

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Oh my goodness that is so adorable! But then I have such a soft spot for duckies!

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Are you serious?? I can't believe someone sent an egg that was developed, even to the point of hatching! Imagine if the poor thing had hatched in the box [​IMG]

8. calgal98

Quote:Are you serious?? I can't believe someone sent an egg that was developed, even to the point of hatching! Imagine if the poor thing had hatched in the box [​IMG]

This was discussed earlier when the egg hatched...a duck stole the egg from a brooding hen...rolled it 40-50 feet to her nest which was collected and sent. If she had thought the duck could have done it she would have candled it first...but it was kind of fun to get the duckling. It is all good, just a reallly interesting story now showing how much they CAN handle and still survive!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't come to the incubating forum often so I didn't see your other thread. But most 'responsible' breeders and egg shippers candle their eggs before shipping to make sure the eggs are not cracked or otherwise unusable. I just can't believe someone would mess up like that, completely un-called for.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  10. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    The all new Post Office Incubator! Who'd a thought! Congrats on your little surprise! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by