The Miracle Naked Necks hatched!!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These sweet creatures are the 2 survivors of a major Post Office screw up.
    A smashed box with 3 completely smooshed eggs (they were well packed too), not left on the porch because the mail lady "thought it might be too cold out," a holiday and a snow storm making it impossible to pick the box up for a week. In the end, 9 of 12 eggs were intact but covered in ROTTEN EGG, at this point SIXTEEN DAYS OLD. I rinsed the intact 9 eggs off, then sprayed them with a weak bleach solution, and took a chance. 3 of the 9 grew embryos with one early loss, 9 never grew, and the 2 remaining are ovbiously fighters. I am so in love
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Another example of why chickens will survive well after humans are extinct. Those babies are gorgeous! Does the chick on the right have some fluid collection under the skin by his eye? If so, it was probably caused by the rubbing against the shell during incubation and hatch. I really like the naked neck chickens. How cool! Nature rocks!

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Yeah she looks a little swollen. I think she was the last to hatch. [​IMG]. Maybe worked harder to ge tout of the egg?

These are their hatch mates. I stuck 3 of our own buckeye mixes in when I set these in case a lone NN were to miraculously hatch.

4. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky

After I fulfill some other shipping obligations. I would be happy to send you some more just for the cost of shipping since this turned out to be such a mess ( if you like). It is truly a miracle that these two hatched as old as those eggs got. That is some strong fertility to be sure..lol!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Those are some tough birds to survive all that. What a miracle!!! I cant wait to get my turken chicks, they are so unique and obviously tough. Good Luck New Momma!! Congrats you deserve it!

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks Spyder. After my current hatch of 2 kinds of chickens and 2 kinds of ducks I'm putting the bator away for awhile. I'm really thrilled with these 2 :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by