the misery of having a lone duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom 2em All, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I had a single muscovy/runner cross hatch out today. This baby requires constant attention and holding or else it peeps and jumps to leave the brooder until it is exhausted and collapses. Right now I am typing one-handed because I am holding the sleeping duckling in the other.

I cannot sleep with it.(my cats would LOVE that)...and soon I must go to bed. [​IMG] I feel so bad.
    I was lucky enough to locate a local person with black east indie hatchlings and will be buying some friends tomorrow...but its going to be a lonnnnng night.
    btw- this little fluffbutt is adorable- i believe it is chocolate colored. [​IMG]

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Would it help to put a stuffed animal in with it?

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    It has Three [​IMG] A dolphin, a bear and hmm a dog, I think. I set it up so it has like a cave to go under and snuggle. But, it wants me in there, too.

4. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I don't have to work tomorrow! I'll babysit and sleep with it! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    It guess you are gonna have to sleep in the brooder tonight [​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Try hanging something up in the brooder so it hangs down for the duckling to sit under.

I use this toy. ( when I am too tired to snuggle them in bed with me - )
    [​IMG]

The lone chick/ duck will stand between the legs - thinking its mom...and when the chick moves- the legs do. Rather than just having a soft toy sitting in a corner- this can give the effect of the toy being alive as it moves.

Some other ideas for things to use..a clean mop head - the rope kind. - Cut up some rags and tie them into a piece of cardboard so they can dangle down.

7. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:EXCELLENT idea!!!

8. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    thanks everyone.

I picked up two black east indie ducklings to befriend my lone duckling.

Now, I have three peeping non-stop, jumping to get out, little baby ducklings instead of just one. [​IMG]

This is a plan that back-fired. The two new ones look like black jellybeans. SMALLER than my little muscovy-cross. Its amazing how something so little can peep so loud.

9. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I think that's just what ducklings do (I really don't know, I'm new to all of this).

I have plexi-glass mirror used for school lockers inside the ducklings brooder. The ducklings loved pecking at it right away. I also have a huge "mirror" made from some sort of reflective nylon material glued to a plastic sheet. I've also used silver plastic serving platters/trays that I bought at a thrift store. My drake spends a lot of time staring at himself and occasionally tries to nibble the duck staring back at him. The chickens love it, too.

Besides stuffed animals and a feather duster, I also have fake fur material in the brooder. They like to nestle in it.

10. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Hang a natural feather duster in the brooder; they will hide in it and preen the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by