1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Moment of Truth, Do I have Pullets or Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheBantyCoop, Aug 31, 2015.

1. TheBantyCoop

TheBantyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Hi everyone,

It's time that I ask the question: what gender are my girls? I took some photos of my girls in front of my lemon trees, for the purpose of determining an answer to this question. So what do you think, boys or gals?

[​IMG]
    #1 Fro

[​IMG]
    #2 Indi

[​IMG]
    #3 Bunny

[​IMG]
    #4 Flossie

[​IMG]
    #5 Annie

They are around ten weeks in the photos.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Annie is a cockerel. No one else is pinging the roo-dar.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree; Annie looks like your only cockerel. :eek:)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree Annie is really ANDY

5. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Ah, that's too bad! I hope I am able to find a good home for her/him if she/he is a roo, as I am not aloud to have one. I have not heard any of them crowing yet, but I don't know if that helps. When will I be able to tell if Annie is a cockerel for sure? When would the crowing start?

The picture kind of messes with Annie's tail too, makes it look more curved when its just messy. I guess I might just be denying that she/he is a rooster, Annie is the friendliest. :(

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Annie is a cockerel, but if you wait for a crow for confirmation, you could be waiting quite a while. Cockerels typically start crowing from 4-5 months old, however sometimes considerably later, and on rare occasions, one will not crow until it is nearly a year old.

7. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Ah, well thanks. It's a sad night for me, any ideas on finding a good owner for him? [​IMG]

I'm going to wait as long as I can, but once the crowing comes I'll be jammed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's hard to find homes for cockerels, so I'd start sooner rather than wait until it's an emergency to get rid of him. Crowing will come sooner or later. What we're going off right now is that large comb and wattles for the age. a female bird just isn't going to have those at this age, period.

9. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree.

10. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I have had very good luck giving roo's away using a regional chicken page on Facebook. Check and see if there's a chicken related page on Facebook for your city, county, or state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by