1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The moment of truth...how stressful! DAY 21...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Day 21...is here. Was gone for nearly 2 days, and when I returned, the humidity was fine, but the temp was 2 degrees higher than optimal. I'm guessing that during the nights when the house was cooler, it wasn't like that, but I really don't know. I had to unfortunately leave a mere couple of hours after removing the egg turner, and obviously didn't have enough time to regulate the temp correctly. Hopefully it wasn't fatal.

I THINK we saw some tiny vibration from one of the 3. How much movement should I be seeing on day 20? Maybe none? I really only sat and watched for about 20 minutes. Gah!!!! Dealing with this, and having done bumble foot surgery. Stressful!!!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I'd like to know this, too. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm so nervous! This is my first time hatching.

Clare

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Just live and forget it. They will be fine. Some of my eggs start hatching on the 20th days. You will get less or not nervous after a few hatches.

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I'm relatively sure that would be a physical and mental impossibility at this point [​IMG]

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Jeffross - I will be in your shoes at day 21 next Monday - and I'm already getting nervous! My first hatch, too. I know I have at least 17 viable embryos right now - just hoping they hatch out okay. Good luck, and keep us updated.

6. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Having had a pet 18-month old chicken die when I went on vacation recently, I can't just live and forget it, either.

No peeps yet, but I have learned that if you set the eggs under the chicken after noon on the first day (which I did on September 6), Day 21 is usually really Day 22. The eggs should hatch either overnight for me, or tomorrow. So now I have longer to worry. :>)

Clare

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Yeah, I heard that too, so I factored it in. Today is 21 for me. Wish I had more to do today to keep me distracted, LOL!

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    When mine hatched last week I had PLENTY that needed doing and none of it got done [​IMG] !!! Make a long wind-y path to the incubator instead of going straight to it [​IMG]

Yeah, I heard that too, so I factored it in. Today is 21 for me. Wish I had more to do today to keep me distracted, LOL!​

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:

I tried that! I only seemed to walk at a faster pace!

Looks like I have 2 very, very tiny pips, and the other is really rocking around. And I think, unless there's a small bird outside my window, I just heard chirping!

10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, the 2 pips have gotten larger. But still have one that hasn't, some 12 hours after the other two, but it's rocking back and forth like crazy. The egg is from my brahma who lays some pretty thick shelled eggs. Hope it can get through there!!!!

How long after the first sign of pip does it usually take a chick to break all the way through?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by