The monsters will be 5 weeks tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazyland, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    The monsters had a bath this morning. Then it was time to play and eat inside. Plus get their weight. This evening they got to play outside and really explore!
    They were torn between staying with me and following the big dogs. lol
    Oh and the names... the kids really wanted to call them something other than puppy. So they are kinda from their collar colors.

Princess is 5#12oz
    [​IMG]

Pinkypie is 4#4oz
    [​IMG]

Blackjack is 4#10oz
    [​IMG]

Blue is 6#5oz
    [​IMG]

Ready Freddy is 5#9oz
    [​IMG]

Camo is 5#6oz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one hen really wanted to investigate the pups!
    [​IMG]

Like father, like daughter!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and Red, Thanks for the suggestion about the box. they seem to use it but still have "accidents" outside the box. And one loves to sleep in it. Eeewww! [​IMG]

2. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    When you discover one sleeping in there, just move it back to the bed area. They will catch on quickly, esp with just a little help for a few days.

When I have puppies I open the potty box on day 21, and they start using it immediately. My puppies have across the board been very easy to housetrain. One lady swears her puppy was completely house trained when she took her home at 9 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Blue is the chubby one of the bunch.....they grow up so fast. They are all really cute.

I did not hear anything about a box being used to potty train.....can you fill me in please?

Thank you!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Fantastic pics! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

They are soooo cute. [​IMG] Ms. Princess looks to be saying...Why? Why did you do this to me??? I'm all wet! [​IMG] I so wish I could have another right now. [​IMG]

I also liked the random chicken in picture. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

6. Crazyland

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I have been moving him out when I see him sleeping in there. I only see him sleeping in there when it is wet, but if there is poop he doesn't. But then again I clean as soon as I see any so he might not have a chance.

Arabian, I asked Red offline about help with the pups at this age and keeping the box clean. She said to basically put a box inside the box as a potty area. I have 3 areas, potty, food and play/sleep. That way they aren't going potty everywhere. And it seems to be working!
    I am also crate training them already. We play inside a crate I have next to their whelping box.

Blue, That hen was stalking the pups! We were at the farthest point from the chickens. They don't ever go in that area. But this one hen saw the pups and would follow the pups around. If the pups got to close to her she would run off. It was funny.

7. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    They are so pretty. I miss having a little sable puppy running around and being obnoxious. LOL [​IMG] Have you found homes for them all?

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I love those pups all sooo darn cute.I am still confused on the potty box.So you put like a litter box in the middle of the whelping box?Do you put them in it to pee or how does that part work

9. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Your pups are amazing. [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing!

10. Crazyland

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    No they don't all have homes yet. I had homes lined up but some people fell through so I am back at it. [​IMG]

I didn't buy an expensive whelping box as this will be the only time I have a litter. So I simply have a good piece of oak for the bottom with an outdoor rug on top and then a tarp on top of that. Then I built 4 walls to put on top and hold down the rug and tarp. So that is my basic box. In the corner furthest from me I built a small square area and put paper down for the pups to go potty on. The pups are big enough to climb over the little piece of wood. And they go potty on the paper and not where they eat or play. I then have fencing up around the whole thing as they have learned how to climb out. It doesn't look pretty but it works!
    The pups took naturally to going potty there instead of all over the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by