The more chickens, the happier the chickens??

joebwe25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 1, 2007
St. Louis, Mo.
I have an interesting question. A family we know wants to apply for a permit in their municipality that allows them more than 3 chickens. However, they need to give reasons as to why they need more than 3 hens. One of the things they wanted to know, given they have adequate space, is if chickens are generally happier if there are more than 3 hens. And more specifically, if there are any articles, documents etc., that state this, so they can present them to the board. This is not necessary, but it would help.

Any other reasons as to why more chickens are better would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't have anything that can help your friend. The only reason I can think of that it is good to have more chickens is that when you deal with living animals, you sometimes have to deal with dead animals. If you have three and one dies, it is good to have at least two left so one is not alone. I can't come up with a rational where you need more than three without getting carried away and I don't think BS will help your friend. Sorry! Maybe someone else can come up with something.

No, I don't think chickens are happier if there are more than 3 of them.

With 3, they've got their flock and if they are well cared for, they are all set.

I can see where more than 3 would be a real nuisance to neighbors inside the city limits where lots are small. In fact, your friend is probably lucky to be allowed to have 3.

Also, I seriously doubt that the city counsel would care whether or not the hens are happier. What they are going to care about is complaints from the neighbors, health issues, odors, flies, noise.......

I say, "The healthier the flock, the happier the chicken." A flock can be two happy chickens if they get along, are healthy and are cared for.

I think the minimum should be 4. Three is just the absolute minimum I'd ever suggest anyone have. For the reason stated above, if one dies then at least the others have each other and aren't alone. In fact I thought the minimum was 4 in most places. Maybe look at other cities ordinances and see. Still, she's got a hard fight I think. Sucks.

Good idea. Take in the above poster. Also the idea of comparing to other nearby cities is good. Be sure to also list the neighboring cities that don't have any limits.

At three hens, you don't have enough hens for eggs. I have close to 20 and don't have enough eggs because half are still young.

If you don't have enough for a reasonable supply of eggs (per the above poster), then they are just pets. What are the limits for Cats and Dogs?

Why all the hate for chickens. Get the ACLU to help you.

The family could also say they need x amount of chickens to feed their family. City government probably won't grant a variance based on the happiness of a chicken. Good luck!

Yeah, that's what I've been telling them. I told them that happy chickens won't sway the city council, but I gave them similar reasons: enough eggs to feed the family, etc., but thanks for all the help. I did forget about that poster! I think I will give them a copy of that, too.

Yeah, that's what I've been telling them. I told them that happy chickens won't sway the city council, but I gave them similar reasons: enough eggs to feed the family, etc., but thanks for all the help. I did forget about that poster! I think I will give them a copy of that, too.

My boyfriend is a city attorney and deals with this sort of thing every day. He said than rather than get a variance the family should try to change the ordinance. He said commissions don't really grant variances for this sort of thing. If they did it could be interpreted as discrimination or the commission is favoring one family over another- an invitation for a lawsuit. With zoning (development, building etc.) variances there are processes and evaluations that happen that keep it equal for everyone that applies. Find other cities that have changed chicken ordinances and use the same arguments. It is happening all over the country! (Yaye!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom