The most amazing chick birth

BCJC1982

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2016
I haven't posted on here in a long whiel I browse from time to time. But the most amazing thing happened to me and I couldn't think of a better place other than facebook to share my story.

Ok so we had some chicks that hatched on saturday night sunday morning 12 eggs 10 chicks. True easter chickens hatched by a hen that I hatched from an egg in our incubator last year.
There were two eggs that didn't hatch. On monday around 2 in the afternoon the hen decided it was time to move on from them and get the hatched chicks foraging. Totally normal for a mama hen to have a couple eggs not hatch. So i decided that I would take them to school and show my 6th grade pre ap kids ( I am a junior high science teacher) what a half developed chick looked like. I picked the eggs up last night and put them in my bag so I wouldn't forget them. When I got to school I was on my computer getting ready for the day when I heard what sounded like a peep peep coming from my bag. (This is around 7:45 in the morning almost 18 hours without warmth) I thought no way that a chick is alive that long with out heat. So i checked the egg by tapping it and heard nothing. I said I must be hearing things I got chicks on the brain. I took them to my demo desk and set them down and as soon as the egg hit the table I heard the peep. I tapped it again and this time I heard a tap tap tap back. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i quickly broke the egg open and sure enough the chick was breathing and softly peeping but was obviously very weak and extremely cold. I rushed around looking for a light bulb (good thing I teach science) that would give off warmth and got a quick little brooder set up for him with a baking pan, kleenex, and a desk lamp. I dabbed him with a little water from time to time to keep its skin from drying out and he slowly regained strength and finally fully fluffed out. His motor skills are still developing but he is getting better and better every hour that passes. The other chick was dead and still at least a day out from hatching (its yolk sack was huge). None the less it was still a pretty awesome experince a once in a lifetime thing I am sure. Below are pictures from morning and now.

shaaa....cute little bugger!
You know you will have to keep it for ever now right?

That is the plan. My wife asked if the mama chicken would take the chick in and I said This is my bird...... inside.....forever.......

That is the plan. My wife asked if the mama chicken would take the chick in and I said This is my bird...... inside.....forever.......

Awesome...
Name it!
Then you will not ever get rid of it.

Amazing!!!! I might have to try that experiment with my science class... oh well maybe we will just put some in the incubator and watch them from their. I bet your kids were SOOOO excited. MIne would be. I teach 6-8th grade science as well. Congrats.

I hope Chick Norris live a happy healthy life!
(I'd like to follow it==it being their life!)

This chicken is just one crazy cuddle bug right now it's just peeping away snuggle up to my neck. When i put my hand over it out pushes its head up and rubs and rubs. It's absolutely amazing.

This chicken is just one crazy cuddle bug right now it's just peeping away snuggle up to my neck. When i put my hand over it out pushes its head up and rubs and rubs. It's absolutely amazing.

I bet!
They are almost as sweet as a new born....um...pup..
I almost said baby (human) but nothing can compare to a newborn baby...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your new family member!
Congrats!

Update with pics soon

Back
Top Bottom