1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The most exciting morning ever... hatching any day now... anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eksterhuis, Jan 23, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    I just went to check my two silkies who are sharing a nest of 15 Faverolle eggs (was 17 but after candling 2 were removed)... One of the mums had pooed on one of the eggs so picked it up and went to wipe it, then it started wobbling and cheeping so I left it... (should I have finished cleaning it?)

Anyway it completely made my day as its the first time I have heard a cheeping egg or seen one wobble! Let alone do both, I have only ever seen them once pipped! (I have had very poor hatch rates with first time mums, but it looks like my luck is changing!)

So excited!

Is anyone else hatching within the next few days with stories to tell?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    My silkie eggs go into lockdown tonight. Congrats!

3. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    I came home from work to find that my wobbling egg has not just turned into a chick, but 4 of my eggs have!!! 4 Chicks and 3 more pipping! 6 with no movement (yet...)
    [​IMG]

I had 2 eggs knocked out of the nest the other night and cold which I put back under my pair of silkies who are sharing the clutch, they haven't hatched yet... But they were only set 20 days ago from now (the first chick wobbly was 19 1/2 days old) so there is time!

The darling mother's won't let me take a good photo of them, it took 2 of us to get the next photo (I will leave them till tomorrow morning now in peace, as much as I want to sit and watch them!)

[​IMG]

They seem quite dark for Faverolles, my last Faverolle chicks were 3 bright yellow things like the bottom right one here... Will wait and see what they grow up to look like!

4. ChaddiX

ChaddiX Out Of The Brooder

5. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks, I do feel like a beaming new mum even though my silkies will barely let me have a look at my babies!!! Good luck! (mine were a full day and a bit early, it must be the warmer weather! (Im in New Zealand) They seem super quick at unzipping, in the past it has been a full 24 hours to unzip, just 12 hours ago nothing had even pipped!) Just in the past hour 2 have gone from just pipping to 3/4 unzipped!

6. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

Even more exciting this morning as there were 10 chicks and 2 pipping! One with no movement but it was one that I found cold the other day so I am not holding my breath for it! But 10-12 chicks is super!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just thought I'd congratulate you on getting Grandchicks!

When eggs in my incubators hatch, that makes me the mommy. Chicks hatched by broody hens make me a grandmother.
    :D

8. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Love the pics! So fun!

9. Goldngirl

Goldngirl Out Of The Brooder

Cute!!! That's a great hatch rate!:)

10. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007