The most expensive Christmas Turkey in the world...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pookiegoldman, Dec 22, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Sunday morning, my husband and I were preparing to process our last turkey for the year, so we got everything ready. Put the pot of water on to scald, sharpened the cleaver, etc... We walked out the 40 pound beast to the chopping block, and hung her upside down. She didn't relax, even after several minutes upside down so husband proceeded with the kill. When he went to swing the cleaver down, she moved her head and he ended up slicing half the side of his index finger off!!!! So there I was in the front yard with my iPod in my ears at full volume, to avoid hearing the chop and subsequent flapping when he runs up to me holding his mangled finger. I had to get my mother-in-law who knows absolutlely nothing about processing birds to dip, pluck and gut the bird while I took him to the ER. After 3 days of hospitals/doctors/ he had to get a skin graft done yesterday to close up his finger. So, this Christmas we will savor every single bit of that turkey, and he's gonna eat the neck first.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Oh my gosh! Is he alright!

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    What a Christmas to remember!! I hope he heals quickly and isn't in much pain [​IMG]

4. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    ...ChickenFrenzie... He is okay. He's just in a lot of pain now. We're gonna come up with a vice or something to strap their heads down into to make it a hands-free type of thing from now on [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Well he out did me! I tried cutting the knuckle off of one of my fingers - doctors visit and now DH tries to do all the "knife" work.

So glad he is doing ok!

I use a chuck of bale twine - tied low to the chopping block - make a loop and stick the head in, pull feet so head is snug in loop - whack!

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    You'd think a turkey that you killed yourself would be inexpensive..

7. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    turkey revenge mwahhahaha. sorry to hear about the finger. the hands free set up sounds like a good idea.

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Ouch! I feel for him. Mine took a good chunk out of a finger with a knife cutting a carrot the other night. Ended up in the emergency room at midnight or so, 'cause it wouldn't stop bleeding unless we wrapped it so tightly he couldn't feel his fingertip! Even they had trouble getting it slowed down. Doc says in a week or so when the nerves start regenerating, he's going to have a good bit of pain when he types. And he works on a computer all day long.

Hope they both heal quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by