The most popular duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 21, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    The most popular duck in my area is the muscovie. Mostly blues and black though. Whats the most popular duck in your area?

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Pekin, Mallard, and Swedish. Sometimes you see Muscovie. One person posts all the time with exotics, Mandarins, teals, ect. Periodically some Khaki Campbell.

The only add I ever saw for Saxony all this year, on CL and other venues, was my own wanted add. [​IMG]

Really I thought there would be more Muscovie for the meat, we have all manner of Boer goats, market pigs, beef, cornish hens... rarely any ducks though with that intention.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Not trying to hijack, but anyone have a suggestion for a friendly duck breed? I have a mutt duck right now. She is runner x something.. She needs a friend [​IMG] I have chickens with her.. Is it okay for her not to have any of her own species?

ETA: I would have to agree about the muscovie. They are very popular around here. Not my favourite for sure. I don't really like the look of them [​IMG] Hope I didn't offend anyone!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm still new to raising ducks but I've noticed that pekins are VERY friendly [​IMG]

5. aoxa

Quote:I'm still new to raising ducks but I've noticed that pekins are VERY friendly [​IMG]

Thanks!! The breeder has pekins as well! [​IMG]

I appreciate the advice [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Hey, no problem we are glad to help. I have welsh haequins, they are very friendly. But dont like to be picked up. No ducks do though. Lol! And im not offended. You just think in your own way. And she does need other duck friends sadly.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. aoxa

Quote:Hey, no problem we are glad to help. I have welsh haequins, they are very friendly. But dont like to be picked up. No ducks do though. Lol! And im not offended. You just think in your own way.

Does anyone know of a duck that does like to be picked up? Or doesn't mind it at least? [​IMG] We have a lot of kids around that like to pet the chickens and the duck. No picking her up though. They don't fly quite as well as chickens. Found this out the hard way [​IMG]

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Hey, no problem we are glad to help. I have welsh haequins, they are very friendly. But dont like to be picked up. No ducks do though. Lol! And im not offended. You just think in your own way.

Does anyone know of a duck that does like to be picked up? Or doesn't mind it at least? [​IMG] We have a lot of kids around that like to pet the chickens and the duck. No picking her up though. They don't fly quite as well as chickens. Found this out the hard way [​IMG]

Well, the only one I know of is a ....... Muscovy [​IMG] but if you just get like two ducks as babies and play and hold them all the time they wont mind being picked up.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

Interesting, my Pekins were always WILD. Like foaming at the mouth (not literally) wild. I found Muscovies to be much friendlier.

Muscovies and Pekins are common here.

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Interesting, my Pekins were always WILD. Like foaming at the mouth (not literally) wild. I found Muscovies to be much friendlier.

Muscovies and Pekins are common here.

I have 1 muscovy in with my runners and she was raised inside for the first couple of months. She greets me at the gate and lets me pet her and pick her up. She actually likes to be held and the attention. Im still working on getting past the red things growing on her face then lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by