1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the mud!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hfchristy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    We've had ducks for about a year and a half, and added two more ducklings this summer. Suddenly, when the ducklings were big enough to go in with the older ducks, we have a serious mud problem. The water dish that held more than enough water for the 5 older ducks is now empty with an inch of mud in the bottom by mid-day. And, of course, a huge ring of muddy ground all around it.
    What the hell?
    We had 8 ducks last summer before getting rid of excess boys, and only have 7 now, so I know it's not purely a matter of more ducks = more mess. And this has been going on for about two months now, so not just a fluke of the wet weather we're having this week.

I'm looking for a screen or something to put under the water dish, but any other suggestions, or ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!
    Christy

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think you have a couple of really enthusiastic young ducks. Our runners used to do much more splooshing than they do now. And sometimes when they are "feeling it" they scatter water far and wide.

Amazing how each duck has a unique personality, isn't it?

3. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Do you think they'll calm down?
    It's really out of control. Much worse than when we had 8 young ducks last year.

I haven't given them much access to the swimming pool, though, and that was in their pen all the time last year. I'm hesitant to put it in there when we're not around, since they're at an age where the girls haven't started bobbing their heads yet, but the drakes seem to think they're big enough. And the old girls are very "helpful" about holding the new ones down.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Safety first. You are right to be thinking about possible risks.

5. kirras

kirras Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    SW Washington
    For a swimming pool, do you just use something like one of the blue hard plastic pools Walmart sells? Are they deep enough for ducks to really enjoy? Sorry to get off topic a bit, just trying to do some research. Thanks!

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I learned something about kiddie pools this year: do not buy the ones from China with the cartoon images on the bottom and the plasticky film over top of the image. Ducks can and will pick and peel that plastic and then it's a dangerous mess. Get the good old USA made hard plastic with the fish shapes molded into the bottom. They don't peel IME and they are a better size too. As for the mud around the pool, well its just what the do! I move my pool around. If I couldn't or didn't want to, I suppose I'd just put it on sand.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have some printed ones here but mine are made in my country, didn't find the ducks touched the decals but the claws of my scovies wreaked havoc with the plastic, the BEST pools are troughs, i run two 50GAL sized ones now, no cracks and they are solid for the birds to perch on and climb in/out. Certainly not as portable, this is true but the durability far outweighs that negative. Those kiddy pools are quite pricey here.

8. kirras

Jan 26, 2013
    SW Washington
    Are the 50 gal ones hard to clean out?

9. kirras

Jan 26, 2013
    SW Washington
    Thanks for the heads up. I think walmart only carries the Chinese made ones. I'll have to look around and see what my options are. I need something that is easy to clean and not too heavy, so I think this may be it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes you can find concrete mixing pans. They are quite durable and roughly the same size as the kiddie pools. They are rectangular. We use four of them (two in the Day Pen, two in the Tea Garden).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by