1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Muscovy duck has taken over!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Dec 20, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    That's right, she has!

We got our first muscovy in a trade with farmin'chick. (Thanks Mary she's healed up great and is a fantastic companion)

This silly girl is now leader of the flock, she's in charge of my pekins and hurries everyone around to where she wants them. She has even friended or adopted the little buff silkie farmin'chick brought along with her. Amazing she prefers hanging out with the ducks over my other silkies, but I still haven't mixed her into my new coop.

Anyways, in a just a matter of a couple weeks she's made herself soooooooooooo at home, she chases my cat, sit at my backdoor after she flies up on the deck and waits for me to let her in the kitchen. Today she made her way in following hubby home. I was doin' dishes and chased the dog away when she comes to check things out. I'm afraid I let Charlotte (that's what I named her) take over. She now acts like the alpha dog of ALL the animals!

My husband has told me at first it was cute that she wanted to be this close to me all the time, but he has changed him mind and no longer wants her coming to the house any longer. How can I cut her off? Besides... she's just too cute and calm! She's wiggled her way into our hearts quickly!!!

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

We need a PIC! [​IMG] Scovies are the Best!! I have a Scovie, Charlotte. She's alpha of all the ducks. She stole all of Beth and Arwens ducklings early this spring AFTER hatching 20 of her own. Then she made Arwen & Beth help HER watch out for all of them. Crazy girl!!!!

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL! I'm glad she's doing fine. Okay, I confess...I raised her from a 3 day old and she was part of my first batch of ducklings, so she got lots of attention and spoiling early. Then, (vfem knows this!) she was attacked by a predator about a week before she moved to her new home. Someone had dumped a fresh carcass in my creek, and I'm afraid it attracted something that attacked her. She had deep (teeth) puncture wounds in her breast. So, I brought her in the house again, put her in the tub with a big tub of water, and cleaned, treated and medicated her wound for a few days. On day 2 she wanted to stay out, but at night I would go carry her in. She got to where she liked to be carried in at night and would come to the door.... OOPS, Sorry, my fault!

As to how you can break her....uh........No idea!

4. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    LOL... well hubby says thanks! [​IMG]

I guess finding Charlotte at the door in the morning will be a regular thing... however she loves the pond and doesn't mind sharing it with the visiting Canada geese right now. Lucky Kittie too, she is well liked by the ducks... now I just need the silkies to like and accept her so I can move her into the coop before it gets any colder.

Right now she has the crate filled with pine shavings.

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    My ducks like to hang out by the back door and watch me in the kitchen. They don't get to come in as much because the Muscovy can fly and doesn't stay where she is supposed to. I give them treats and spent time with them outside before I make dinner. Now they seem content to just stay by the door and wait for scraps

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

No pic? Boo...

7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I should get one.... she's up on the deck now with the cat fighting over the cat's bowl! LOL

The cat...is not winning! [​IMG]

8. Zac S. Orig. 7 hatchery

Zac S. Orig. 7 hatchery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    outside of Northfield mn
    JUST WAIT TILL U HAVE 200!!![​IMG]

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    AWWW! Ive been meaning to bring my Scovie Goonie back into the house - just recently got his new harness. But its been so rainy and muddy and YUCK. But I know what ya mean! My first feamel scovie ( when she is home ) takes over EVERYONE! But she likes to fly around the surrounding neighborhood. My second scovie girl, Pigeon, is just learning to fly. I hope I wont have to clip her wings.

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I love muscovies! i have one called Charlotte too! i raised her and a drake (Chester) from ducklings and she sometimes bulled my lab (Ali) and eating out of her food bowl, too. it was funny and Ali had to learn to share (not something a lab is good at). my scovies are now at my block in their own special coop with a pond. I love them heaps. Charlotte always wags her tail and come running when she sees me, its so cute! She is also boss of all the chickens and Chester. hehe
    I dont think your scovie will be offended if you dont let her in [​IMG] perhaps when you see her go and give her attention outdoors? anyway good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by