The Mystery Bird :D

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CaitlynNichols, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CaitlynNichols

CaitlynNichols Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    Here's is Midnight, our mystery bird. We've had her for ten years and still to this day we aren't sure what breed she is. We've had our guesses (crevoceur and a houdan mix?), but we don't believe we're even close to our guesses. Hopefully there are some bird experts out there that might be able to determine what this beauty is. Btw, she's always acted like our pet dog since day one when she was a chick. [​IMG]

Here are some photo's from a while back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Looks to be an Easter Egger or at least an Ameraucana cross. Just gave one away that looked just like that and that's what she was.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Polish/Silkie/Easter Egger cross?

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think she looks like an Ameraucana/silkie/something else mix, but she apparently isn't going to give it up anytime soon [​IMG]

None the less, she is lovely [​IMG]

5. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    I hope some of mine live that long. She is truly a beauty too.
    No earthly clue what she is though [​IMG]

6. CaitlynNichols

CaitlynNichols Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    I'm actually surprised by the silkie answers. She doesn't have five toes, the feathered legs, and blue skin at all. (Although I do reckon when you have a mixed breed you don't always have every trait.) She does have that kind of hair do though. We sometimes nick name her Elvis. [​IMG]

She could be some sort of ameraucana cross. I will have to look at some photos closely to see if there are any similarities. I wish she was a true polish! I love their hairdoos. Hehe.

And yes, she is wicked old! We have a White Leghorn who is also ten. Both of them are from the first batch of hens we got.

I don't want to sound stupid of course since I'm learning every day about chickens and livestock: How do you define an Easter Egger? Is there supposed to be certain qualities a bird must have to be in that category?

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    She looks like a gold laced Polish cross which would give you the coloration, beard, muffs, and crest. The other half would be something single combed and probably Mediterranean like a Minorca, Andalusian, or Leghorn.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's no Easter Egger in there at all.

One of its parents is definitely a Crevecoeur or a bearded Polish.

The other parent is definitely a gold laced, partridge, or double laced bird with a single comb and good body. It can be either a Barnevelder, Plymouth Rock, or even a single combed Wyandotte.

An Easter Egger would make a pea-based V comb, looking a lot like a buttercup or butterfly comb. Also it would pass on the green legs. A Silkie in there would cause five toes, dark skin, and a walnut looking comb. An Ameraucana, too, would make a pea based comb. Also, neither Easter Egger nor Ameraucana crossed with Polish make this color unless they've got a lot of melanizers and a duckwing or brown-red coloration.

I don't want to sound stupid of course since I'm learning every day about chickens and livestock: How do you define an Easter Egger? Is there supposed to be certain qualities a bird must have to be in that category?

An Easter Egger is any bird that lays a blue or green egg but does not qualify to be an Ameraucana or Araucana. Chickens from hatcheries and feedstores claimed/labelled as Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers. In most, if not all cases, Easter Eggers are hardly related to Ameraucanas and are usually mutts.​

9. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Polish or Creveoceur mixed with a large bodied bird. There is no Silkie or Houdan in her mix. If so she would have 5 toes on each foot.

Beautiful bird.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm wondering, what color eggs does she lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by