The mystery chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cuppycake, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cuppycake

cuppycake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    So our neighbors have a flock of about 20 chickens (and one duck) that come over to our house and do what chickens do. I'm planning to put up a fence to try to deter them once my own chickens are old enough to go outside (all of mine are between 1 - 6 weeks old right now)

Anyway, some of their hens lay eggs in my barn and those are the eggs I have in my incubator for the Easter hatch-a-long (woot, free chickens.) These eggs will be a total mystery to me as I can't be sure which hens are laying in there, and there are 4 or so roosters in that flock so I don't know who the daddy is.

I did manage to get a couple of decent pictures of a couple of their chickens when they were right outside the back door this morning. Sorry I couldn't get more but they aren't very friendly, they are very afraid of me. Any idea what these might be?

[​IMG]
    One of the roos. There is also one that is all cream colored, one that is black with gold lacing and his tail seems to have white lacing in it, and there's one that I'm pretty sure is a buff colored cochin (very fluffy with feathered legs.)

[​IMG]
    a lot of the hens look like this. I'm pretty new to chickens so I'm not good with breeds. Are these RIRs, or are they too light? ISA browns maybe? I have no idea

[​IMG]
    This is a bantam. I'm sure none of my eggs are bantams but I just wondered what this pretty bird might be. just curious.

If any of the mystery eggs hatch I'll enjoy having them around, they are HUGE eggs... a lot of the eggs are bigger than the Jumbo eggs from the grocery store.

2. cuppycake

cuppycake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    [​IMG]

So I'm guessing the bantam is a gold sebright after doing some research.

3. smartin202

smartin202 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    The second picture with the two hens are 100% definitely Red Stars. I have 3 of these hens and they look exactly like mine. They also lay large darker brown eggs if that helps.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    gold laced sebright for the bantam and the other hens are red sexlinks (red stars, gold comets) the rooster looks like a mix

5. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 Red sex links are awesome layers! Red sex links are a mix of a red rooster over a white hen. But they don't breed true so you could have some very colorful birds coming your way! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by