The Mystery Ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Ok so i thought a bought 2 "pekin" ducklings and a "mallard". Atleast that is what the man i bought them from said. But the have started to get their feathers and the "pekin" duclking feathers are striped! Any1 have an idea of what breed they are? Here are some pics
    Wensday & Thursday [​IMG]
    Thursdays feathers upclose
    [​IMG]
    Friday's Feathers Upclose
    [​IMG]
    Wensday, Thursday, & Friday
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry bout the quality Iphone pics.)

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    its really hard to tell, but maybe buff? my buffs had neat lacing on their feathers

3. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] So what breed is this? Because i think theyy will turn out to be like these ducks.[​IMG]

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    First you don't have a Mallard. Second I think one of the lighter ones is Pekin and the other looks to be a fawn and white runner. And the dark baby could be a black runner.
    This is what I can tell by the photos so I could be wrong.

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Is the dark one black? If so, then it's probably a Cayuga. It looks nothing like a mallard!
    As for the others, the lighter one looks like a buff and the other one looks like a harlequin. I'm not totally sure though, they all look slightly off like they might be crossbreeds.

6. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    thanks every1 and every breed you have said could be them lol the little black one looks like a runner to me.

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have no idea but they sure are adorable!!

Michelle

8. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I think you might have three runners. I'm not an expert, but I think Pekins usually have a rounder, fatter face. And I would think that if you had one Pekin and two of something else, the Pekin would be WAY bigger than the others... but these ducks are all about the same size. Pekins are also completely solid yellow as babies and yours both look like they have some darker coloring on their faces, which is the coloring that fawn and white runners have. The black one could be a cayuga, but it's so thin and dainty that I think it might be a runner, too. It is definitely NOT a mallard, though! Their ducklings are yellow and brown.

Will you let us know what they grow up to be so we can see if we were right?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    One thing is for sure, there is not a mallard in that trio. I would go ask him what breeds he has, they could be crosses between those. Also, the two "pekins" look way off, the one in the front ha the stripes as you said, and then the one in back is much to dark. They are awesome ducklings though! Keep us posted on how the grow [​IMG]

10. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    K will keep u all posted get better pics lol!, and i actualy bought them from Atwoods so they wouldnt have to go through shipping. the get they ducklings from metzer farms. im thinking they are runner ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by