The mystery hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickypoo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    When we got this little girl she was in a big tub of straight run chicks from a hatchery. She is about 17-19 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet. She is smaller than the golden sex link hens we have, is a good flyer and is kind of nervous, she doesn't like people. I think she is some kind of bantam but I have looked and looked and can't find anything! She doesn't really cluck either, she has a harsh cackle sound.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Could it be a hamburgh? I dont know about them, but they are supposed to be flighty. They are not a bantam but they are a small type of chicken. Do not take my word as hard fact, it is just a guess.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not sure what she is either, but love that color!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Wow, I have no idea what she is, but she is cool looking! [​IMG]

Jody

5. FFA Mom

FFA Mom New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Northern California
    I don't know a lot about chickens but there are bantam variety hamburgs, my daughter has a silver spangled full sized hamburg hen.
    Your little hen looks similar to the picture of a golden spangled hamburg bantam hen in the American Poultry Association's American Standards of Perfection book we have.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    CAn you call up the hatchery and find out what kinds of chickens--small regular or bantam breeds that they hatch out? It might point you in the right direction....

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She looks like a gold spangled hamburg.

8. FFA Mom

FFA Mom New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    I scanned the picture of the golden spangled hamburg hen from our American Standard of Perfection book so you could compare.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Could be a hamburg... not as much black though...

[​IMG]

10. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    Wait, you mean I have possibly stumped the powers that be on BYC??? [​IMG]

Well if it helps at all here are the only pictures I have of her as a chick. They aren't really good but who knows. Before she got the feathers in her body was dark grey and her head was bright gold, like in the picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by