1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The mystery of the yellow duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DancingWthDucks, Jun 11, 2016.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all,

Yesterday I hatched 7 gorgeous Khaki Campbell ducklings. This is the first time that I've hatched from my pair. At the moment I have no other adult ducks, just loads of ducklings at various ages. She has not been with any adult duck other than her drake for the last 3 months. The only possibility is that a wild mallard drake could have mated with her.

Out the 7 ducklings, 5 are the normal chocolate color, 1 is a fawny color and another is a bright yellow with light stripes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I don't know the answer to the mystery of the yellow duck. I live in an area that has a large wild waterfowl population. The wild mallards, male and female, did make stops on the property to check out the tens in their enclosure and fly overs when they were out foraging with me.

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Anyone else? Surely there are more duck breeders/Khaki Campbell owners on this forum.

4. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Interesting. I saw a post about a golden 300's offspring. Your yellow one looks similar to one for the 300's offspring. Any chance your Campbell has any 300 in her?

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    The yellow one looks a bit like a Welsh Harliquin. The WH breed was derived from some light colored KC originally. So it may be that it will be a lighter colored KC. They are all super cute.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I also think you've got some hybrid blood in there. Definitely not pure khaki

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I know so little about duck genetics - but is it possible that this is just one of those variations in coloring that comes along sometimes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by