The mystery predator/ breaking into a HenSpa

genabeana

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
My neighbor has a HenSpa with 3 chickens in it. If you're familiar with the HenSpa, it's a pretty darn solid coop.

She had closed up the coop and went away for the weekend - they had plenty of food, water, shade, etc. Should have been fine.

When she got back there was a symetrical appx. 15 inches by 5 inches rectangular hole in the tough green netting. 2 hens were missing, 1 carcass remained.

The netting was slightly bulging out as if it had been pulled on. This animal would have to have been very strong and persistant. What drives us crazy is the perfectly symetrical hole, as if it had been cut with a knife by a human. Why would a human leave one dead carcass? Also we live in a neighborhood where the lake is in the back and people are never just wandering through your yard!

I thought it might be a racoon - but again, the evenness of the hole!? Also, I've seen a coon around here one time in 6 years. We do have foxes, but how could a fox cut that hole?

Can you post some pics of the hole? I have to agree this sounds like a two legged pedator.

Here are some pic's---

23246_1_166.jpg

23246_1_165.jpg

I hope this works, I've never uploaded pic's to BYC before!

What sicko human would do that!Poor hens I hope there ok.What you need to do or the nieghbor is set up a trail cam hidden somewere but showing were the coop is out some fake chickens in there and act like you feeding them,put them in and set it up.Do this for a while till maybe he/she comes back and you can get pixs of em.

unless there is an animal out there that knows how to use a razor or knife, I have no doubt your predator is human. When my horse was just 2 months old, i came home to him and saw perfectly straight, bloody cuts all over his head. At first I thought it was barb wire or something else out in the pasture. But the cuts were too neat. I still can't prove it, but I have seen my neighbor hit my horse in the head. And she has admitted to throwing barb wire in my pasture. My horse is no longer within reach of my neighbor or her horses. If you haven't had an incident since, I would be careful who I tell the next time I go away for a few days. I'm sorry about your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom