The Natural History of Chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by psimek, Jul 20, 2007.

1. psimek

psimek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2007
    Has anyone seen the movie, The Natural History of Chickens done by PBS? I got it for my classroom, thinking it was about the natural history of chickens, but it was more about the relationship of people and their chickens. We did learn a lot about chickens, though. It was fun to watch.

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I have seen it, I thought it was a good watch!

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    I have seen it, it was quite entertaining, although not what I expected, given the bit about "natural history"

4. psimek

psimek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2007
    The first time I watched it, I had to remind myself to close my mouth! Everything in the video is true. My daughter would just crack up every time she saw the rooster mobile.

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Old thread, I know, but this was just on PBS tonight, and I'd never seen it! The woman with the silkie was something else! [​IMG] I thought the whole thing was very well done.

6. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    I just watched this tonight on PBS with my kids and I loved it!! Very funny!!!!!

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I thought it was good, but I was disappointed there wasn't more "natural history". I especially like the guy who raised all the roosters.

8. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We just watched it!

It's loads of fun, although frankly I was on the neighbors side when they sued the man who bred game cocks for "show" (yeah right - and those were the sorriest looking show birds I'd everseen...25 and then 100 roosters and no hens?oh no, he doesn't fight those birds [​IMG] ....

The silkie lady was something else all right; I also liked the man who raised his own meat birds.

As for Mike the Headless Chicken ....I think Facelss Chicken is what really happened because the poor creature had to have brain in order to survive as long as it did. If you look carefully in the link you can see that it wasn't exactly "headless" (the head is on the lower right.)

It a must see for BYCer's....I bet you can get it from Netflix. [​IMG]

~Phyllis

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The entire thing is on youtube in 10-minute segments if you want to watch it!

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well darn it. I had wanted to warch that again, and didnt realize it was on PBS last night. hm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by