The neighborhood peacock is hot for my leghorn hen!!! :(

steveg144

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
He's a white peacock named "Sebastian", he really is a good boy but right now it's peacock mating season. He's been putting the moves to my hen "Camilla" for awhile, and today I went out back after hearing a high pitched cry from the peacock, and he was on top of her, having at it. I chased him off with a boot to the arse, but since he and my girl are both free range (she's behind our cyclone fence, but he hops that at will), I'm sure he'll be back. So, two concerns:

1. can a peacock get a hen pregnant?

2. are there worries about him hurting her if he gets the chance to do this again? From what I'm reading of chicken anatomy, there doesn't seem to be anything "penetrative" about it, but beyond that I don't know the details, so I worry he might injure her.

For what it's worth, Camilla is none the worse for wear. :)

1. IDK IM GESSING SO TRY IT AND FIND OUT LOL
2. GET HER A PROTECTIVE VEST THING IT STOPS THE BOYS DIGGING THERE NAILS IN SO HE CANT HERT HER

Last edited:
First, hens do not get pregnant. That is physically impossible.

Second, pen up either the peacock or the hen until mating season is over. He will hurt your hen due to size and persistence if you don't separate them.

lau.gif

Peafowl /chicken hybrids are very rare but possible, there is a thread on here about one, very cool looking bird! Now peacocks aren't like roosters, they wont run down hens and force them to mate, so it looks like your hen very much wanted to mate with him! I think you should set some eggs :D

Back
Top Bottom