The neighbors are gonna kill me (or them)!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terrapene13, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Terrapene13

Terrapene13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Peach Bottom, PA
    I live in a residential area and recently my hens have become quite a cacophonous little bunch. The two I like most seem to be the loudest and the ones that incite the riot. I've tried to pin down exactly what causes it, and it can be anything....or nothing at all. I've had the hens in question for 4 years and this is a new phenomena.

And it is LOUD. Like the panic squawks when they're afraid of something. One will often get them all going, and i don't want to upset the neighbors. I've tried creating things for them to do in an effort to divert their attention. This works occasionally, but not consistently.

Do you all have any idea how to break the cycle? I'd hate to part with my favorite hens.

Thanks!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    When your hens are being noisy, can you go out and quietly observe? What do you see? What could be setting them off? Something could be a little different. Something a person wouldn't observe.
    Mine were carrying on, and I went out. Thankfully they are in a covered run. There was a large bird sitting in the tree. He flew off. They shut up.
    Problem solved....until the next time they see something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by