The neighbor's dog....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by polishchickens111, Jan 28, 2012.

1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    just paid a "visit" to my backyard, where she proceeded to harass and chase my free-ranging chickens! [​IMG]

I was watching and my own dog was there, so nobody got hurt. (Well, my dog doesn't mind the chickens, but he is a retrivever, so he doesn't help much.) But I was VERY angry at this dog.

I had trouble getting it back to the neighbor's house. I couldn't leave her alone with the chickens, and although she is a cocker spaniel I couldn't carry her because I'm strong but small. I finally carried it to where I had a leash and walked the dog home.

This dog is friendly to people and other dogs, but apparently not to chickens.

This dog belongs to the neighbors who I GAVE eggs to about 30 min before. [​IMG]
    I'm angry and worried, we've never had a dog isse before. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Could it have been a one-time escape? After all, accidents happen. Dogs do, on occasion, escape their yards and owners. As long as no chickens were harmed, I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues to happen, then I'd take pictures first and then talk to the neighbor, showing them the pictures, and tell them that you will not tolerate their dog in your yard and if it shows up again, you will take action. But you must be willing to act upon that. You can't go making threats over and over and do nothing, or they'll just let the behavior continue. What action you take is up to you. If Animal Control is available in your area, start there. Call them EVERY time the dog shows up in your yard. If that's not an option, then local law enforcement. It sounds like you live in a residential area so shooting the dog probably isn't possible if it starts killing your birds. The other thing you might want to think about is securing your yard to keep that dog (and others who may come by) out. If that dog can get in your yard to harass your chickens, so can coon, fox, coyotes, and whatever other predators you can think of.

3. polishchickens111

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Thanks for the advice. Shooting is definatley not an option. I have not spoken to the neighbors, since it was not an issue. If it continues I will talk with them though. I just needed to vent a bit.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    don't wait to see if it continues. Let them know, in a friendly way, "hey by the way, Fluffy came over to the house and was chasing the chickens"
    Even if the birds are never touched, chasing can cause them to stop laying because they are afraid.

5. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

good fences make good neighbors

RobertH

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Agree with above. You have to tell the neighbours ASAP, just so they are aware of the problem. As no real harm was done, perhaps take them some more eggs and just mention it nicely. Easier to keep good relations with neighbours for everyone.

Next you should secure you garden so no more dogs can get in. This dog might have done you a favour in prompting you to do this! If a dog can get into your yard, then so can lots of other potential predators.

If that is too costly - then at least build a secure run area, predator proof. You can keep the hens safe in there, and only let them out when you are about.

Good luck. Keep us all posted if any future developments.

7. polishchickens111

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Thank you for the advice. I have spoen to the problem neighbors na dthey apologized, and told me that they were sorry and would keep a better hold on her.

I don't have the money for a fence right now, and they do have a run. I was watching them, but that dog was fast and wiggly. I'm definatley building them a ractor soon so that they can be out with a litle more security. We do have some racoons/foxes/hawks, which is why I was watching them, but my dog usually deterrs any daytime attacks.

Again, thank you for your advice.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If I was out in the open with chickens then I would carry a large stick/bat and some mace for dealing with roaming dogs. I have a 6 foot fence,but I still keep those items handy when walking with the birds!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by