The neighbours cat.

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
For quite a year now we have problems with the neighbours cat.
The neighbour his girlfriend came live with him and brought this cat.
We are 99 procent sure that this is their cat.

We proofed our garden so my cat can't get out and annoy neighbours. An no cat get's in. But this cat is somehow an acrobat and mastermind in one. EVERYDAY we have to rescue the ducks for this cat; or think we have to. When young ones we find them backed up in the corner and have to rescue them. Now they chase him away but we are still awakened by the noice and we just hear in their quacks that they are not feeling safe afterwards. We don't sleep well. Sometimes it's 3 times. We hosed this cat with water a LOT. And one day he was stupid enough to go into the empty coop and I'm angry enough to close it. He went all loco. Through the whole cage jumping back and forth (dargnit dude, It is a big poop coop, I just closed the door.. and nothing else...) and managed to wurm himself through 1cm of wire... and stayed away for a week..and then returned.
Again daily.

I am afraid to talk to this neighbour.
I think you should not have a pet and lay the burdons upon others.
But where I live people think 'yeah, but cats need to be free, otherwise it is abuse'. (and your dog then?)
I'm a cat person. But I can't expect other people to be a cat person and find it okay to find cat-poo all over their garden and their fowl get killed...just so MY cat can be free.
I'm afraid that I ask friendly if he can keep his cat out of my yard he will suddenly complain about the quacking of the ducks. (which they don't, unless feeding time that we do diliberattly hours after the hours you can make noise, from 07.00 in the morning it is allowed and we do 09.00. And they are soft quackers for the rest, and he said he never heard them) and the rest of their loud quacks is because of their cat.

What to do?

Cats won't harm your Ducks. Leave the Cat alone because it possibly is after the mice that come to eat your feed. I have a Cat and the Cat next door comes here too. They have never been interested in a Chick or a Duckling although hang around my pens and kill mice, birds and Squirrels..
Agree! From what I've seen, cats are intimidated by groups of ducks and chickens.

This cat tried to attack ducklings below full adulthood and corners one of them. Any older he has trouble to get them in a corner because they fight back. But it still upsets them. They loudly call us awake and are visibly shocked for an hour afterwards. And they possibly awake other neighbours too.

We don't feel like putting them in a cage all the time. We don't have many birds of prey or any prey-seeking-animals. The only ones we have to watch are the jay's and crows when we have ducklings, but for some reason the ducks created some packt with the crows in our chimney's... or the crows with us...the crows chase the jay's away when near our ducklings, probably because we don't chase them away out of our chimney's and we allow them to crack wallnuts from our roof. So we don't have too, so we don't want to for someones sweet 'whitesocks'.

Pellet guns are not allowed here. My partner wanted to buy one too. But it is all big words, the thing with the shovel, we are too kind to actual kill a cat because it just 'catting' and his owners are anti-social.

The prodecure is going to the city hall, for months, after months, and months...and nothing happeneds. And most of the time escelates in a full-on neighbourfight.

Anyway, my partner started a friendly-offensive first. He brings him duck-eggs now every week. And thén is going to ask if he could keep his cat of our property hahaha!

The cat's reaction to having the door closed on him, sounds more feral than pet.. are you in a area that you are allowed to have ducks? if you truly believe it's his, I would talk to him, in the mean time, try and secure your animals where the cat can't get to them. About your only other option would be to trap the cat and take him to a shelter.

For quite a year now we have problems with the neighbours cat.
The neighbour his girlfriend came live with him and brought this cat.
We are 99 procent sure that this is their cat.

We proofed our garden so my cat can't get out and annoy neighbours. An no cat get's in. But this cat is somehow an acrobat and mastermind in one. EVERYDAY we have to rescue the ducks for this cat; or think we have to. When young ones we find them backed up in the corner and have to rescue them. Now they chase him away but we are still awakened by the noice and we just hear in their quacks that they are not feeling safe afterwards. We don't sleep well. Sometimes it's 3 times. We hosed this cat with water a LOT. And one day he was stupid enough to go into the empty coop and I'm angry enough to close it. He went all loco. Through the whole cage jumping back and forth (dargnit dude, It is a big poop coop, I just closed the door.. and nothing else...) and managed to wurm himself through 1cm of wire... and stayed away for a week..and then returned.
Again daily.

I am afraid to talk to this neighbour.
I think you should not have a pet and lay the burdons upon others.
But where I live people think 'yeah, but cats need to be free, otherwise it is abuse'. (and your dog then?)
I'm a cat person. But I can't expect other people to be a cat person and find it okay to find cat-poo all over their garden and their fowl get killed...just so MY cat can be free.
I'm afraid that I ask friendly if he can keep his cat out of my yard he will suddenly complain about the quacking of the ducks. (which they don't, unless feeding time that we do diliberattly hours after the hours you can make noise, from 07.00 in the morning it is allowed and we do 09.00. And they are soft quackers for the rest, and he said he never heard them) and the rest of their loud quacks is because of their cat.

What to do?

Your profile indicates you are in the Netherlands. What is a typical procedure there for unruly house pets? For not remaining in their yard? How does one report an animal there? Can you trap and drop it off to a humane society?

Here in the US, there is some variation, but generally an animal harassing livestock is definitely considered a nuisance. Also, if an animal is taken into a shelter then the owner needs to pay to get it back and it is documented that they are not controlling their animal. Usually paying the collection fee to get their animal back 1x fixes the owner and they keep better control. But, if not, then you have documentation of repeat offense. You could install a game camera to document the problem.

All the neighbors cats used my yard as a playground and cat litter box because I was the only neighbor that had no dogs. As soon as I got a rooster, I never saw a cat in my yard ever again. Cats are terrified of my big mean RIR rooster. Now I can enjoy chicken fertilizer to help my plants grow, instead of cat poop poisoning my plants. The neighbor with some of the cats said that my rooster makes noise at 5am every morning. I told the neighbor that her cats leave piles of poop in my yard every morning and I hear their dogs barking all night. At least my chickens let them sleep all night until 5am, unlike a barking dog that can go on all night.

Okay, at my computer!

I'm the proud owner of nine hor..........s doing.)

Thanks for you reply.
But I´m not going to that amount of trouble (he is neutered, and if he were not I'm not going to spend 120 dollars to neuter it.. + that would be a sure punch in my face when I would do that, since it is not my cat..how would you like strangers doing surgical stuff to your pet?) for ANOTHER PERSONS CRAPPY CAT.
People should just keep their pets on their territory. Don't make your cat other peoples problem. I did not buy that cat. So I don't want to have to do anything for that cat.

I'm not sure where you get stuff like therapy ducks or whatever. Or that that cat is super-special for his girlfriend. And all kind of assumptions. They just need to keep their cat on their territory.

Like I do with my cat. I'm really not getting why that is so weird. With dogs we find it normal.

I love that you took the time to reply. But unfortunately you only made me more angry. That is not personal to you. Maybe it is what I needed. It confirmed my inner feelings; that I think it is idiot to let your pets be other people's problems. And I should not be such a push-over on that subject.
I'm going to talk to him. Ask if he can keep his cat on his terrain. Atleast at night, so we and neighbours can get a good night of sleep without scared quacking ducks because that cat is at it again.
And the next time that stupid cat is on the terrain again after talking; it is going to be caught and left in some other city (bringing it to the shelter costs money here...really stupid rule). If you don't want anything to happen to your cat; keep it on your own terrain.

Back
Top Bottom