The nerve of some people!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm currently taking a Financial Accounting class and I've had multiple people ask to copy my work or try to cheat off of my tests. The first kid I noticed would move his seat during reviews and tests. I had a funny feeling about him and noticed during the first test, his eyes kept wandering over to my paper. I turned my back and tried to hide my paper from him, but I was shocked! He had asked me to be his partner for our final project and I told him I was working alone. Thank goodness I did! A few days ago, this same boy asks if he can take a look at my take home portion of our final because he forgot to do his. I told him he could look at it and I watched him very closely. Before giving it back, he asks if he can copy it. I had a feeling he was going to ask, so I quickly refused and told him he needed to do his own work.

As if that wasn't enough, this one is even more shocking! When I was filling out my work hours in the office where I work, I overheard one kid from my class asking about a note taker. Apparently no one had signed up for the position and since I recognized him from that class, I offered to be the note taker. We spoke for a few minutes and he asked if I would be willing to tutor him a few times before the end of the class. I said that would be fine and we could meet up in the library (Very public place, I'm not trusting of too many people these days). I gave him my phone number and we set a date to go over some work. When we get there, he begins telling me that he really isn't looking for someone to tutor, but rather some one to do the work for him. My mouth must have dropped to the floor. He kept offering money and what not, but I told him I would not do that under any circumstance. I said I would be willing to go over anything he needed help with in the library and he said that was ok. He said he would still be willing to pay me for my time and he did. He paid me $20 for two hour long sessions. Now we are getting down to the end of the semester and he hardly ever shows up to class and has made little effort to meet with me. I figured he dropped the class but today I get a message asking if I could send him a copy of my project and that he would be willing to pay me $100 for it. I promptly refused and said I do not feel comfortable with that. I said I would drop the rest of the notes off to the wellness center for him to study, but could no longer meet him because I am busy with finals.

I've never come across anything like this in any other classes, but I find this incredibly disturbing. These same people who are trying to buy work and cheat will soon be graduated and looking for jobs in the "real" world. I'm sure these are only a few of the many, many people just like them! Very scary idea!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    What a sleaze. Good for you for having some character and refusing to go along with his nasty scheme. You're right; it is scary to think of him out in the real world. He'll probably become a politician.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

4. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Good for you! I'm taking classes too and it's amazing how many people just slide along.....Don't know about your classes, but mine have involved lots of "group work" and I hate it. The whole group lives or dies by those who do the work. UGH. The only redeeming factor is that I get to do an evaluation of the team and can bust the slackers.

Well, once they get into the real world, it will quickly become apparent who knows what and who is full of bull (I hope so, anyways)

Cheaters never prosper, right?

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I just got done with a class that we had to work in groups for the whole semester. It was terrible! My other group members hardly contributed anything. We did have an evaluation today for the other group members and I graded a couple of them very low.

For some reason I find the unbearable group projects are pretty consistent with my business classes. I just did a group presentation with some fellow biology majors for a biochem class and they were a pleasure to work with.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG] Too true!! [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Please tell me you reported this behavior to the instructor? When he offered you money to cheat he crossed many educational and professional lines.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I'm not really sure how I should go about this. I considered it, but I really don't want to start any trouble either. I have no idea what this person is capable of and if the teacher goes after him for cheating, he will know it was me who told the professor. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd like to hear them. I would like to report the other boy as well, but I just get the heebie jeebies from him. I don't want to put myself in danger for reporting either of them.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I would talk with the teacher as well. What if he DID manage to steal/copy some of something you did, and then it could look like you stole his work. MOST teachers should recognize who's been the hard worker and who has been slacking, but I'm always one to cover my own butt just in case. Trust no one!

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm not really sure how I should go about this. I considered it, but I really don't want to start any trouble either. I have no idea what this person is capable of and if the teacher goes after him for cheating, he will know it was me who told the professor. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd like to hear them. I would like to report the other boy as well, but I just get the heebie jeebies from him. I don't want to put myself in danger for reporting either of them.

Hmmm I probably would have said something when he was trying to copy your paper during the test. Just something casual at that point, like a private meeting at the prof's office and say something like "I noticed so-and-so trying to look at my paper during the test. I don't know if he managed to copy anything or not...." But I dunno. Fortunately I never had to deal with anything like that. A lot of teachers generally made us sit with an empty seat between us - if there was room in the class that is.

At this point, maybe WriterofWords can tell you something better from the teacher's perspective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by