The nerve!

ErinG

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Oregon
Okay I may be over reacting here, but I need to vent. I have 5 chickens fenced on a big piece of open land next to a day care. I look out my window to see a 2 year old running through our newly seeded grass towards my chickens with a piece of bread in his hand. Confused, I look out and see a woman (his grandmother?) behind him with half a loaf of bread. I see what is going to happen, and go outside. There is actually another woman with another two year old also (does this look like a petting zoo?) She looks at me like, oh crap and asks if she can feed my chickens. I said, "No, and you should never feed any one's animals without their permission." They quickly mumbled apologies and left. I am really bothered by the fact that people may be coming onto my property and feeding my birds when I am not home. I'm going to guess that that bread was moldy, and people don't even think about the fact that certain foods are toxic to chickens. I know that I am very protective, but sheesh it seems ridiculous to walk onto someone's property to feed their animals.

OMG< The nerve of some people. I can not believe that. I am so glad you caught them before they were able to feed them. I would have been so mad
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
Good luck I hope they don't come back.

I'm thinking you should probably clearly post "No Trespassing" signs.

Sometimes people just don't think. A friend's pony died when well meaning new neighbors dumped their grass clippings over the fence thinking it would be a nice treat. The new neighbors knew nothing about equines and didn't think to ask if cut grass was okay...
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
Anyway, I'm not the least bit surprised to hear that, being situated next to a daycare, people are allowing their children to feed your chickens. As a conscientious parent and respecter of other peoples property, I would never allow my children to do such a thing but we all have such wildly different ideas about what is and isn't okay... Make it clear that it's not okay, at all, by posting signs.

I hate feeling like such a curmudgeon! But you are right, people do not think. Posting signs may be a good idea, thanks for it.

Sign "Feeding chickens could KILL them!"

People ignore trespassing signs unfortunately but I'd like to think someone wouldn't want to be responsible for killing a person's birds.

I can relate...people use to come on my land and feed my horses. But if they bit someone guess who they would blame. I found some things in there pasture I was not happy about...I then put a sign up.

I don't think you are over reacting at all.Some people are just rude not to mention dump and disrespectful and they don't think that a "No Trespassing" sign has any meaning .I had a stupid neighbor who dumped grass clipping over my fence for my horse to eat
he.gif
He could not understand why I got so angry and threatened to sue him
somad.gif

Like others have said, the individuals may have no idea the harm they could cause. Rather then a loud "no trespass", perhaps a, "please do not feed the chickens as it may make them sick." you might even offer to go into the day care a couple times a year to give a 10-15 min presentation on chickens, and include a send home sheet for the parents and grandparents . Or, you can get one of those coin feeders, like at petting zoos, fill it with crumbles, and have the kids pay 25 cents to feed your birds! LOL

Back
Top Bottom