1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the netting on our run fell apart...what about gift ribbon for it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FarmingCityGirl, Dec 28, 2013.

1. FarmingCityGirl

FarmingCityGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Michigan
    An ice storm ruined the netting we had covering our run. I had been planning on taking it down anyway-I knew winter would destroy it and it wasn't really deterring hawks. It's time to think of something new. I don't want to buy wire to use for it, although that seems to be the best choice. Does anyone have any experience with ribbon? Like gift wrapping ribbon...does it hold up? I'd like to make a grid pattern with it, to keep predators out, and I could use whatever color I want.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How big is your run? Could you use deer netting, it is usually pretty cheap, like $20 for 7 x 100 foot.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think gift ribbon is meant to be used outdoors - tho the colors might repulse hawks, I wouldn't bet on it.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I use deer netting and I've seen it deter hawks. Saw one dive for one of my girls and it hit the brakes mid air and swooped back up fast when it saw the netting. However, if there's a heavy snow, the stuff is toast. Probably exactly what happened to your netting.

I don't think ribbon would hold up to the weather, it's not made for outdoor use. Plus it would be a lot of work to string. If you want to try stringing a grid pattern, I think I'd use something like clothes line string/wire that's made to be outside and could handle the weather better. I've seen it in white and green.

5. FarmingCityGirl

Mar 21, 2013
    Michigan
    It's about30X30. We had deer netting up. It kept opening up at seams. A seagull had gotten in there (that was pretty funny watching the chickens freak out over that while the seagull frantically tried to get out). And we've had a hawk perched on one of the posts, just eyeing the whole run...I don't know how smart hawks are, but it sounds like it was looking for an opening. From my understanding, having brightly colored wire deters them from even coming down, whereas the deer netting blends in so much from above that they come down to take a better look. I just didn't want to buy wire just for that purpose...wire is pretty expensive and I'll need a lot of it.

6. FarmingCityGirl

Mar 21, 2013
    Michigan
    Oooh, I never thought of clothesline. That's a good idea. I wonder how expensive it'd be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by